Floating Virtual IP

Hello,

Does anyone know if this setup is possible and if so, which router or device can do this.

Virtual floating IP.

Site A: Server 1 Site B: Server 2

1 IP pointing to A site.

Scenario: If site A's server doesnt answer send the traffic to site B and the router there will forward it to the site B server.

There is a VPN tunnel connecting sites A & B.

The server on site A and B are exactly the same. So if for some reason site A server fails the router should send the traffic then to site B.

Yes I know there are redundancy applications that can do this and thats what they are for, but is this possible from a router perspective?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would the return traffic here be the issue? COnsidering that traffic would come from a different IP all together or is this where PAT comes in?

Hope i clearly explained what I'm trying to do here; any recommendations are appreciated.

GNY

Reply to
GNY
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

In the Cisco world you would use a Content Services Switch (CSS 11000 series) or IOS Server Load Balancing (SLB) for this however both of these solutions are expensive. CSS's start at around $11,000 and SLB is only supported on the 3640 & 3660 (both end of life), highend router platforms (7100, 7200, 7300, 7400 & 7600) and the 6000 / 6500 switches.

There are many other maufacturer's who offer similar devices and may be a cheaper alternative such as Radware, Alteon (Nortel), F5 and Foundry.

Jmes

Reply to
James

James.. Thanks for the reply.. So such a setup is not possible out the box with any device.

What about multi-homed BGP? There a possiblity with that?

Thanks!

GNY

Reply to
GNY

Sorry I meant.. with any device except for those you mentioned.

What exactly would this setup be called?

GNY

Reply to
GNY

Maybe you could do something clever with a routing protocol - BGP, OSPF or RIP software running on the server might be able to provide this funtionallity but I have never heard of anyone doing this.

This funtionality is available in any Server Load Balancing appliance or software, so I would call it Server Load Balancing :-)

There is probably an Open Source / Linux solution out there that would work?

James

Reply to
James

Thanks James. I'll look into it.

GNY

Reply to
GNY

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.