Connecting to a Cisco 1841 at work from home

Let me start off my saying I am new to this and I'm just curious about this. We have an 1841 router that we use at the office. A VPN is set up on that and it would be easier to connect via VPN, however, that's not the point. If I have that router there, what would I need at a second location to connect to maintain constant connectivity to the domain? I am sure this would be a long response so general theories would suffice. Thank you.

Reply to
Phil
Loading thread data ...

Ok.

We have an 1841 router that we use at the office. A VPN is set

If I have that router there, what would I need at a

If you want to join your Home PC to the Windows AD Domain, then the VPN

*must* be established before your PC loads the Operating System.

So, yes - you will need a Router at your Home to maintain connectivity.

I am sure this would be a long response so general theories

Reply to
Intuitive

So it can be any old router that can connect via vpn? We use the cisco client here at work so how would that information get to the router?

Reply to
Phil

You would need to configure the router. Your best bet would be to ask whoever maintains your 1841 what settings you need to put into your router to establish a VPN connection.

Reply to
alexd

In a nutshell

A second router with a static IP. Make sure your LAN addressing does not clash with your office.

Then you establish a VPN between the two. Then your create appr> Let me start off my saying I am new to this and I'm just curious about

Reply to
Johann Lo

If this is a windows domain, you can always just use RRAS on the windows servers. Set up a PPTP connection through RRAS and have windows dial it up on login, at home.

Reply to
bthetford

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.