Wireless Controller and WCS Design ?

Anyone have any good network design diagrams / maps involving at least two wireless controllers in two seperate locations but managed by one WCS. Hoping to take a look at what others have done, the layout and IP addressing / subnetting and so on to get ideas on the best way for me to migrate our existing wireless network from standalone AP's to LWAPP using two controllers at two different locations connecting back to main WCS.

I know we will be using L3 LWAPP since we need to and Cisco recommends it from what I have read.

I have about 20 AP's connecting to each controller, both controllers are in seperate physical locations. One controller is in the same location as the WCS but that does not seem to matter a whole lot.

Anyway, if anyone has some diagrams either public ones you can point me to or internal ones with anything private stripped out I would greatly appreciate a chance to review them.

Reply to
DarkFiber
Loading thread data ...

The WCS is only used to manage the WLC's. With only two WLC's your not going to get much. The WCS allows you to create "templates" that you can push to the WLC's and has some pretty maps. Other than the maps, WCS doesn't do anything that you can't do with the WLC interface. WCS has very poor reporting capabilities, and is pretty much a waste of money. It might actually be worth it, if the location functionality were included, but you also need to purchase the location appliance for that functionality.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

You do not need to purchase a location appliance to use some portions of location. Base WCS with location license gives you the location service which include rougue location and adhoc location. The location applaince gives you user location, anylitical (sp?) data, E911 capabilities and can do asset tracking for you. There is many more things it does, but those are the "big" 4.

Reply to
Brian V

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.