Cisco & T1 multiplexing

I have a situation where my T1 demarc are coming in one building, but my Cisco router (and WICs, obviously), are in another. Currently, I've got 2 T1's coming in, and I'm using existing copper phone line to run them across the campus to the router. This works, but not for long.

I'm adding an additional T1, and I have no copper pairs left. I was thinking about using a multiplexor to combine ALL the T1's, old and new, into one single multimode fiber pair (distance is only about

600'). But I've never used a multiplexor, and am unsure if it will work, or which one to get.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations for inexpensive multiplexors that can combine 4 (or more) T1's onto multimode fiber, then break it out again on the other end. Or, can I multiplex at one end, then plug a WIC into the Cisco router (a 3825, BTW) that will demultiplex at the other?

The easiest thing to do would be to move the router next to the demarcs, but that's out because of the environment (ancient building, leaky basement, bad power, etc.). And the telco won't move the demarcs to the new building.

If anyone can recommend an inexepensive, stand-alone multiplexor, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
ttripp
Loading thread data ...

I think you would be adding a level of complexity that you will regret later when some fault actually happens and you must troubleshoot the lines. The ideal solution is to get the telco to move the demarc.. if they resist, change carriers (or at least, threaten to change carriers!).

Reply to
Andy Johnson

I agree. I have had a telco move a demarc several times (at different loc). They wont do it for free though...

Good luck.

Reply to
Edward Salonia

Order three new circuits into the other building as new services, they usually will install the Demarc for free then if does not exist. Then have the two old circuits disconnected in the existing building.

Reply to
MC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.