CISCO Linksys WRT160N

Hi,

I am using LINUX DD-WRT on a CISCO Linksys WRT160N have just started playing with the brctl command, which I am assuming stands for "Bridge Control", I have notices that it has arguments such as "show". This has prompted a few questions for me that I was hoping the knowledgeable people on the either could help me with:

a) Is this an emulation or partial emulation of what the CISCO corporate routers do? b) How do CISCO routers understand concepts such as NAT, do they use ipfilters or have they got there own special CISCO way of doing things. c) What OS do CISCO corporate routers come with, I know that VxWorks is very popular, but I would assume that CISCO have there own OS something like "CISCO 5", if so is this made by CISCO or is a UNIX derivative, c.1) if it is a UNIX derivative is it POSIX compliant and BSD based. c.2) Is it an interface to another OS, like OSX is interface to Darwin BSD UNIX

Thanks for your help in advance

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Spiteri
Loading thread data ...

Its more like just a basic CLI. Long before any GUI programs existed, most things lived just as a command line interface. The unix shell is just one example. Cisco routers have long been CLI based, but they certainly weren't the first. CLI is much more generic than Cisco's command shell.

Most Cisco routers don't run linux (although that seems to be changing with NX/SAN-OS, even then they only use the linux scheduler and base OS with their own IP stack and support code). They've long supported NAT with their own code, way before ipfilters/iptables existed... Cisco has been around a very long time.

Most Cisco routers traditionally run IOS, although newer ones have different OS options like IOS-XE, IOS-XR, NS-OS, SAN-OS, etc. Current plain IOS revs are in 12.4 range. It again has been around some time, with 9.1 coming out sometime in the early 1990's. Clearly based on some Unix concepts, its definately not Unix. They've branched out lately with different OS's, either again of their own design, or based on some linux scheduler.

Can't even be compared close to Unix, or a derivative of unix. It has some unix concepts, but nothing at all like unix.

OSX isn't an interface to Darwin, it *is* Darwin. Based on Mach, with a BSD compatibility layer. (ie. Not BSD, but many userland utils, the TCP/IP stack, etc. from FreeBSD).

NX-OS runs the linux kernel, but I wouldn't say its an "interface" to linux, they use the kernel to their advantage, but everything you see, everything that goes in and out through those boxes goes through Cisco code.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for your response, this has been very helpful. Is the CLI interface the same thing that VxWorks uses in Motorola Cable modems?

Just a point of reference when I was talking about Darwin what I meant was that it was BSD based rather than System V based, but on the re-read on my post that didn't come across at all, and point taken about OSX not being an interface to Darwin it is Darwin, but to me and this is only to me. The MAC GUI is quite separate to traditional XWindows systems, but that is my ignorance, what I should do is look up what the MAC GUI is called.

Thanks again for your response. Is NX-OS open source. I am very interested in having a look at it as well as some of the other OS's you mentioned.

Thanks once again for your response.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Spiteri

That would most likely be one example of a CLI. The DOS shell would be another.

formatting link

Aqua.

No, they wouldn't release their parts of it as opensource. They probably have the linux kernel up that they are using somewhere on their huge site, but that doesn't mean the code they also use has to be opensource. Most of all of that is definately closed source..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks alot for your response, everything you have said makes alot of sense and has cleared up alot of issues that I previously had.

Reply to
Aaron Spiteri

IOS (Internetwork Operating System) is definately home grown.

I think that :-

- Some older wireless access points used VxWorks. - The new modular IOS which allows incremental on-line upgrades (e.g. new drivers just as linux/windows does) is based on something they have bought in. This is only on a few platforms at present. 6500. - Cisco see themselves as a *software* company.

Reply to
bod43

You might like to keep an eye on media coverage of FSF vs. Cisco if you're interested in further details of how it all fits together. Story so far: Cisco-branded stuff is designed in the US and made in China. Linksys-branded stuff is designed in China and made in China.

Reply to
alexd

Thanks for that I have started looking into this. By the looks of things this affects several different routers and is the first time the FSF has filed a complaint. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Reply to
Aaron Spiteri

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.