Cisco icmp problems

has anyone heard or seen this before?

I have a Cisco 2500 (IOS 12.2(22)series running with basic configuration. ip address and no shut on eth0 No access-lists No Firewall enabled.

Connections is as follows:

INTERNET ------ SurfBoard (Cable Modem) ---- 2500

When connected to the 2500 through console cable I get 20% packet loss. !!.!!

Ping yahoo.com or 4.2.2.2

No Interface errors and nothing else but router connected to cable mode -- I am consoled into the device.

I attempt to send 20 ping packets and recieve same result. !!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.....etc

I have cleared configuration and just have IP address set on eth0. I have tried eth1 with a different Transciever.

From behind the Cisco router - I recieve usually 100% replies from a windows XP box.

I have tried this same exact setup using a 2611XM (12.3T)

This does not fix the issue I still recieve 20% packet loss out to the internet through pings directed from the router.

I have switched cat5 cables and Coax cableing.

I directly connect my PC to the modem and recieve 100% repleys.

This seems to not be isolated to the router as it happens on a 2500 and 2600 running seperate IOS versions. Also using Faethernet int on the 2600 and eth on the 2500 doesnt seem to matter.

I have also changed nego from auto to hard coded. I have also tried lowering the icmp data to 36 bytes as it defualts to

No Matter what I seem to do the Routers cannot ping out to the TWC network and recieve 100% reply.

I have also connected both routers to a switch and pinged between the same interfaces and recieve 100% replys

Any information would be great.

Reply to
saintjmf
Loading thread data ...

FYI, that's 33% packet loss.

If you posted your configuration it may make troubleshooting a little easier.

Reply to
Brad

Brad,

Yeah wow 33% well when I said 20% I was refering to the defualt 5 pings lossing 1 equals 20% -- But since that seems to be your biggest concern .....

UMM well as I said Brad....

I start out from erase start -- I say yes.

Reboot

I then get to

No no auto crap

Then Router>en Router# config t int fa0/0 ip address dhcp no shut

This is done a little different on a 2500 since it is a Eth0 interface.

That pretty much it.

Need the whole config?

Reply to
saintjmf

Yes

Reply to
Brad

Give us interface statistics do determine packets being dropped on that interface. Maybe this won't help but thats what I would check.

If you get 100% on your PC and 80% on your router consisently then obviously the router has problems. check the interfaces for dropped packets.

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

Brad,

If you still need the whole config after what I just told you then you arent going to much help. if you dont no what a config looks like after the commands I posted then you would be lost. Thanks anyway for playing -- Game over

Reply to
saintjmf

There could be something else in your configuration that is causing you problems. If you look at the posts I'm not the only one asking for more information. If you choose to not post your config that is your right. Good luck.

Reply to
Brad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.