Cisco Express 500 Series

Good morning all.

I am still farily new to networking so please be gentle. I recently purchased a new Cisco Express 500 Series switch. When setting it up initially, it would not let me assign it an address in the 10.0.0.0 subnet, even though that is my internal addressing scheme. I ended up just giving it a 192.168.x.x address just so I could get it setup, but now I cannot manage it. I posted the problem on Cisco's message board, and was told that the problem has been fixed with the newest IOS release, 12.2.(25)SEG. My problem is that I cannot manage this switch anymore just to find out what version it's currently running. I am positive that this is going to be an easy solution, but I'm just not good enough yet to figure this one out on my own.

Any help is much appreciated.

Matt Atkins

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Hi Matt,

You may wish to investigate Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Switch Troubleshooting:

formatting link
Found at Cisco Catalyst Switch Documentation:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Connect Non-VoIP End Devices To Cisco CallManager

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Technical Forums
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

formatting link

I've already read through this document and am having a hard time finding the help that I need. That's why I decided to post here.

Thanks.

Reply to
Matt

formatting link

Why can't you simply change the IP of your laptop to be on the same subnet as the switch? Obviously download the image from Cisco to your laptop first then upgrade the switch.

Reply to
Brian V

Matt,

You may want to consider "hand-holding" by your local Cisco TAC office:

formatting link
They are very, very good.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Jobs

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

formatting link
> I've already read through this document and am having a hard time

You have two options. Get a PC on a compatible address range with the switch or reset the switch to factory default and start again.

One very handy thing for circumstances whch as yours is secondary addressing.

Windows (2000/XP) for example allows you to put more than one IP address on an interface if (I think) the address is configured manually and is not DHCP assigned.

You set additional addresses by selecting the Advanced button which allows you to Add IP addresses.

Say your network is 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 Your PC 10.1.1.1 The Cat 500 is on 192.168.1.1 by default - made up address.

Add an address to your PC 192.168.1.2

You can then communicate with both your normal network and with the new Cat 500.

You can then set it up with the new address (hopefully).

Cisco web site very slow dead just now so I can't look.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.