Cisco equivalent of RV082

I'm looking to setup dual load-balanced T1s for a company with QoS. I found the Linksys RV082 that has 2 WAN ports, but I need to be able to have 2 isolated LANs instead of the 1.

Is there a small-business Cisco equivalent to the Linksys RV series? I currently have 3 different 2500s (two 2514s and one 2501), if a software upgrade is all that's needed to get load balancing / failover.

Thanks,

Reply to
Yoann Roman
Loading thread data ...

Hi Yoann,

You may wish to investigate the online Cisco Product Advisor:

formatting link
Hope this helps,

Brad Reese Free Cisco Security Upgrades:

formatting link
BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts
formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 U.S./Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

I tried that route first, but the Product Advisor can't seem to come up with a suggestion for my scenario. It always wants to throw in voice interfaces with the data interfaces for the lower-end routers.

Reply to
Yoann Roman

Anyone have any other recommendations for this? I'm sure Cisco can do this if Linksys can.

Reply to
Yoann Roman

In article , Yoann Roman wrote: :I'm looking to setup dual load-balanced T1s for a company with QoS. I found :the Linksys RV082 that has 2 WAN ports, but I need to be able to have 2 :isolated LANs instead of the 1.

I don't think I understand what you mean about the 2 isolated LANs ?

:Is there a small-business Cisco equivalent to the Linksys RV series? I :currently have 3 different 2500s (two 2514s and one 2501), if a software :upgrade is all that's needed to get load balancing / failover.

IOS has a number of loadbalancing and failover mechanisms, with different tradeoffs. I suggest you examine the whitepapers at Vincent C. Jones' site, and if this is for "serious" work, consider buying his book.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I've got a LAN for a public computer lab and a company LAN. The 2 need access to the Internet, but not full access to each other (i.e. I need to define ACLs between the 2 LAN interfaces, basically).

I'll look into it. If this is possible with my existing hardware or a basic upgrade, that'd be great.

Reply to
Yoann Roman

Has anyone on here actually implemented such a mechanism with Cisco 2500 Series routers (or an equivalent upgrade)? Thanks!

Reply to
Yoann Roman

The solution for incoming services appears to be BGP only. Is there any other approach? I've seen devices play tricks with DNS to solve this problem. I know that my Cisco 2511 running NAT right now converts the DNS responses with private IPs to public IPs when queried from outside. Maybe using this with some form of load balancing and failover?

Reply to
Yoann Roman

If by "equivalent to the LinkSys RV series" you mean the ability to have two (or more) dynamically configured links (using DHCP, PPPoE, etc) and network address translation on both links, and the ability to load share and fail over (including using the correct NAT for each link when failing over from one link to the other)... the answer is NO, not on the

2500 series. It does appear to be possible on Cisco routers which support TCL scripting using the Embedded Syslog Monitor facility. Last time I checked (some time ago) ESM was only available on 800 & 1700 series routers using IOS 12.3T.

Disclaimer: I have implemented this capability in the test lab, but have not had anyone proof its utility in a production environment.

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

How hard was this implementation? Is there documentation online on how to do it?

Thanks,

Reply to
Yoann Roman

Much harder than it should have been. There are no tools for debugging and the TCL implemented is a subset of real TCL with no documentation (at least at the time) of what is and is not supported. Basic process is try a statement, see if it has any impact, see if the impact makes sense, see if it is reproducible, find some feature which is supported which can be used to fake the feature which is needed. Working code took close to a week to develop because the ESM facility is intended for processing syslog entries and RTR tracking does not generate syslog entries unless debugging is turned on (which won't work in production because you can't turn on debugging in the startup configuration).

If you had a configuration where there were loggable events when ISP connectivity changed state, it would be much easier. The challenge is performing the clearing of NAT tables when the only indication of need is RTR tracking changes (ping-based routing).

If you have a configuration where NAT is not required, it is trivial, see, for example,

formatting link

There was none at the time I did it (summer of 2004), nor have I run across any since then (although I have not been looking).

You're welcome.

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.