Cisco 5002 card question

Hi

I have a Cisco Catalyst 5002 switch that I purchased very cheaply to play about with. It has a supervisor module and a Group-Switched

10BaseT Ethernet card.

The ethernet card doesn't have any standard RJ-45 ports, but more like larger serial interfaces.

I was wondering how this worked? What sort of cable would this use and how would it connect to other switches?

Many thanks.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

They are RJ-21 connectors which are a very common telco connector.

They are used to a patch panel without having to use individual RJ45 cables thus eliminating the usual cable clutterr seen with 24 or 48 RJ45 cables plugged into an individual Catalyst module

What is the module number ? Is is shown in the upper right hand corner of the module

You can get octopus (hydras) cables that would fan the ports out to RJ45 connectors

You would want to get RJ21 STRAIGHT MALE connectors in order to easily connect the cables to the modules's RJ21 female connectors. At the other end you probably want RJ45 female connector in order to take regular CAT 5 RJ45 cables.

The key to getting the correct cable is to know how many ports are supported on each RJ21 connector AND they RJ21 pin out so that you can buy or have built the correct cables

I have also seen "harmonicas" that can be attached to an RJ21 calbe that provides the desired fan out

see

formatting link
cable examples

There are many compnies that can provide what you need

Reply to
Merv

If it has IOS then you might not have received the license to use the software -- IOS licenses are non-transferable.

If it is CatOS, then the situation might be more complicated: the CatOS licenses on at least some of the devices used to be noticably different and (I believe, possibly incorrectly) allowed transfers. But I deduce that the newer CatOS merged license terms.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.