Lab for CCNA

I checked out a few labs, and most seem to to have contrived situations that they force you to use. For instance, I tried a routersim from the Cisco site, and it didn't even let me use IGRP! I wrote to Boson, and they say to use their labs. I need to use the Cisco Press lab books for the Cisco Academy but merely plug in stuff like the topology of what routers I am using, and to insert the config files in the routers. Does anyone know of a CCNA/ CCNP lab that will let me have completely free reign and that would let me do my Cisco Press lab assignments? It may help to know that the main reason I am asking is that even with 2 or 3 routers at home and a switch, they have more complex labs. Please post any links you may have, especially for ones under $500 USD. Thanks, David

Reply to
David M. Schwartz
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
these are online rack rentals. they give you remote access to actual equipment. they advertise mostly as being geared towards CCIE lab practice, but there's no rule saying you can't use it for CCNA.

Reply to
john smith

Thanks for the links. I was actually hoping for a simulator because my whole idea is to avoid rack space rental by learning on my own, paying whatever cost once. Thanks.

Reply to
David M. Schwartz

David, I would personally stay way from the simulators. When I was studying for my CCNA i purchased the simulator from Routersim. Although it was ok, it was no substitute for the real stuff and I paid a couple hundred bucks for it. I reccomend checking out

formatting link
and rent rack time from Chris. He has a great ccna program. Included in the rack rental is a lab book that will walk you through configuring everthing you need to know for the exam, and it is on real gear. His rental prices are really cheap also. I rented from him a couple of times and was able to pass my exam. I sold my routersim software and key to someone else for a hundred bucks (although i think it was against their policy).

Rommon>

Reply to
Rommon>

formatting link

Can find 2610 routers for a little over $100 and 2950 12-port switches for around the same price. Definitely worth the investment and can always resell them on ebay.

Reply to
Freeride

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.