Cisco 2901 and Windows Odd behavior

Hello,

We have a Cisco 2901 with multiple WICs and three of the Routing Interfaces are connected to the same single dumb switch.

Obviously the interfaces should not normally be connecting to the same swit ch, but that's how our system is currently designed.

The odd thing is when a Windows PC (no IP yet) and another device (device A ,for example IP 10.10.10.1) are both connected to this same dumb switch, wh en we try to configure an IP on the Windows PC, the PC responds with IP add ress conflict. We are sure there is no IP conflict, but the message comes u p everytime.

Even though we can try any random IP on the Windows PC, it always responds with IP conflict.

If I remove the three network cables from the router interfaces, with just the Windows PC and device A connected, I can configure the Windows PC IP wi th no problem and communicate with device A. Ever after putting the cables back into the router, everything seems fine at that point.

So the problem seems to only appear when trying to set an IP on the PC, but once the IP is set, all seems well. I'm certain it's not related to a tru e IP conflict, but maybe something in the way Windows detects IP conflicts?

Maybe PC having the same MAC address across multiple interfaces causes this ????

Does anyone know why the PC would think there is an IP conflict when trying to set the IP?

Very curious...

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Tom
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.