Chained RDP over chained VPN

Hi there !

One of my colleagues has a very strange problem. He asked me to help him as I'm the infrastructure and networking guy but I'm quite sure that this is not a Cisco problem but rather a Billy-OS one.

From home, he RDPs to a machine in the company LAN over a VPN tunnel. There he opens a second VPN connection (onboard PPTP) to a customer site, and as soon as he tries to start a second RDP session to a customer machine, the Cisco VPN tunnel breaks down. The same thing worls without the first VPN tunnel, i.e. from a client inside our LAN.

Any ideas?

TIA

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler
Loading thread data ...

On the properties of the PPTP connection, goto the networking tab, double click the TCP/IP option, goto the advanced option, and ensure the use default gateway on remote network is unchecked.

Reply to
artie lange

We'll try that - I forgot to mention that I have no clue of Billy-OS ;) ...

But what's the connection between the default route on the "hop" system and the breaking VPN tunnel?

Regards

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

By enabling the default route on the PPTP connection, all traffic is routed over the VPN ,thus breaking your IPSEC VPN.

Google split tunneling.

Reply to
artie lange

Aaah, of course, I know spilt tunneling - but I didn't fully understand the wording of that option and what it does in fact. If M$ called it "split tunneling", I would have known what's going on :) ...

Other good news: it works now. And now that the above clarified, things make sense. Thanks for your hint!

Regards

fw

Reply to
Frank Winkler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.