"Certificate Error" when accessing Cisco router through SDM

This is just a minor annoyance, but I'll ask just the same. When I access my Cisco 2801 through a web browser (IE, in my case), using a https session, I get the message "Certificate Error". I just click through to continue. Now, I know I can click on the error button and manually add the certificate to my browser, but is there any way to assign a certificate from my PKI to make this error go away permanently?

I added a certificate using the SCEP wizard, but I take it that that certificate is not the certificate used by SDM. Oh, and I've tried using the FQDN when running the browser, but that doesn't do it, either.

Like I said, not really an issue, but I'd like to resolve it just the same. Thanks.

Reply to
ttripp
Loading thread data ...

You get the error because it is a self-signed certificate, which means that it was not issued from a certificate authority that is trusted by your web browser. The error is not an "error" but a popup from your browser asking you if you trust the certificate that it is being presented. You have three options:

1) Ignore and click through the popup 2) Create a new certificate from you own internal certificate authority for the device and use that one instead of the self-signed certificate. If you don't have an internal certificate authority, you would need to create one, and then install the trusted root certificate from this certificate authority on all your web browsers. You only need to do this once, and then you could create certificates internally for anything that needs a certificate (like internal web sites secured via SSL). 3) Pay a fee and have a certificate for each device issued by one of the trusted root certificate authorities such as Verisign.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.