CDP and Microsoft Windows Servers

Hi all Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows Server machines (say Server 2003).

Thanks in advance Srihari

Reply to
Sri
Loading thread data ...

In article , Sri wrote: : Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to :talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows :Server machines (say Server 2003).

Not without installing some software on the Windows server. But if you have a handy cannon ready to swat that fly, then see

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Srihari,

The CDP protocol is proprietary to Cisco, so it is not normal for any

3rd party to have support for it unless it is specifically written in. HOWEVER... about a month ago I noticed that one of our new Windows Servers was appearing in a 3750 switch "sh cdp nei" command, so perhaps MS are now writing something in there for it.

Cheers.................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Yes, it can be use if for example you are running a CCM on it, then ciscoworks will identify it status.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

There is a LINUX CDP stack available at

formatting link
I'm fairly certain I've seen a

3rd party Win32 stack also, but haven't been able to easily track it down.

Reply to
Russell JF Kirk

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but looks like it will do the job

formatting link
The one I've seen previously was just a CDP stack, without the monitoring. I also think it was distributed under the GPL. Try Googling perhaps.

"Russell JF Kirk" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@GreyConvergence.no.spam.co.uk:

Reply to
Russell JF Kirk

Here's a Win one (commercial USD$15)

formatting link
alan

Reply to
Alan Strassberg

McAfee Virusscan sez that this file has a backdoor virus. Do not download.

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.