Catalyst 5000 w/ Sup. III - Switching Fabric

Will the 3.6 Crossbar Fabric on the Sup. III with a server connected via 1000base netbooting 25 clients connected via 100base on the same chassis saturate the switching fabric?

formatting link
A cheap new Powerconnect 3348 from Dell has Switch Fabric Capacity 48.0 Gbps...

Reply to
globalgorrilla
Loading thread data ...

The critical thing here is to understand that many network protocols e.g. TCP are DESIGNED to saturate the path. However they are also DESIGNED to cope with lost packets and other delivery problems.

Even if the fabric is saturated my guess is that the _application_ will succeed. i.e. You won't be able to tell other than thaqt it might take a little longer.

Reply to
anybody43

So you figure a setup like the above will be saturated by the 1000base from the server when all the clients are booting up?

Reply to
globalgorrilla

No I'm not saying that. I can't answer that question.

The CAT 5000 has a 1Gbps backplane which can be saturated by a 1G ethernet which is of course full duplex. Each packet traverses the backplane once.

The 5500 with SEIII has 3 x 1Gbps backplanes and with different card slots connected to different backplanes.

In any case:-

I have no idea what netboot is _exactly_.

However:- It won't matter whether some part of the path between the clients and server is saturated or not.

Unless you are in a hurry that is, and time is critical or you are using an unacknowledged protocol in which case there could be packet loss.

Reply to
anybody43

This is netboot:

formatting link

Reply to
globalgorrilla

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.