catalyst 2924xl; POST failure

Hello,

I have inherited a cisco 2924xl which died on someone. I'm hoping to get it working but fear the worst.

The unit fails on power up during the POST tests. Amber lights come on for the first four LEDs in the unit, which indicate failure of:

1 - DRAM 2 - flash memory 3 - switch CPU 4 - system board

The external case shows no damage. I have opened the unit and do not see any obvious damage aside from the plastic LED unit for the indicators on the far left as viewed from the front being disconnected from the system board. I can only guess that the unit was dropped.

Would anyone have any troubleshooting advice for me to go about trying to recover this unit?

Thanks for any help,

- Greg Knopf snipped-for-privacy@indy.rr.com

Reply to
greg t. knopf
Loading thread data ...

Hi Greg,

You may wish to investigate Troubleshooting Common Issues on the Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches:

As well as the Cisco TAC Knowledge Base:

formatting link
Reggie Grant at Cisco Repair may also be of assistance:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Sorry Greg here is that link again:

Troubleshooting Common Issues on the Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches:

formatting link
Brad Reese
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Greg,

Here is the Cisco PDF which does NOT require a log-in to view:

formatting link
Brad Reese Factory Refurbished Cisco
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Spend the $160 on the Smartnet contract, and get an advanced replacement. (depending on model of 2924xl you have, a WS-C2924XL-EN is this price at CDW).

formatting link
Of course, you can find them sometimes as low as $125 on eBay, but most of the time go for a little bit higher than the Smartnet price.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I work at Insight, we are a Cisco Gold Partner, so we have Cisco engineers on staff to help with design if you like. If you know exactly what you want then I will get you a very good price. Let me know if I can help:

David Brooks

508-647-3532 dbrooks at insight dot com brooksdavid at gmail dot com
Reply to
brooksdavid

formatting link

Thank you Brad and Doug. I have not actually read a smartnet contract. Would that in fact replace the unit I have?

Thanks,

- Greg snipped-for-privacy@indy.rr.com

Reply to
greg t. knopf

You may wish to investigate Cisco Online Partners:

formatting link
The Cisco SMARTnet Pricing Calculator:

formatting link
SMARTnet Eligible Cisco Factory Refurbished ( currently 620 units in stock, List Price $399 ):

formatting link
Can you purchase Cisco SMARTnet Support services for a Cisco device that has not been covered previously by a Cisco service contract?

Yes, but you must be using the current version of software.

If the software is one or more releases older than the current release, your company must first purchase the current release before it can purchase SMARTnet Support services for each device.

formatting link
Additionally, the product must be inspected by Cisco to ensure that all components and software are approved by Cisco.

Brad Reese

7 Years of Cisco Product Guides
formatting link
Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Thanks, Brad, this is a real help. I figured that I wouldn't be able to get so lucky with a free 2924. As I'm sure that you know these routers & switches get sold & passed around w/o the software licenses being properly maintained. So now with this switch I'll probably just keep it around to monkey with if I have time, but more likely cannabilize it for a power supply or something like so many desktop PC's which seem to accumulate for some reason or another.

Thanks for the info,

-greg snipped-for-privacy@indy.rr.com

Reply to
greg t. knopf

CDW/Cisco isn't going to bother for all that for a catalyst 2924XL. They'll just sell you the contract, set you up, and let you do advanced hardware replacement on it. Done that a few times.

This rigamarole happens for big routers. Not for little switches.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.