Cat 4500 police rate issue

I have a strange problem with a service-policy in a 4503. I set up the policy to rate limit all traffic with DSCP AF21 to 8 Mbps. However when I apply the configuration instead of give me 8 Mbps it rates limit the matching traffic to 200kbps or something very low around this number. To get around 2 Mbps I needed to change the configuration of the policy to conform 60Mbps! The policy match perfectly the traffic (other traffic not matching is not affected and I can see the matches in the policy). I guess I am missing something but I cannot find it. I am doing exactly what the documentation says (well I guess so). Any ideas?

Thanks!

The config and some output: sh run Building configuration...

Current configuration : 3367 bytes ! version 12.2 no service pad service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime service password-encryption service compress-config ! hostname Switch ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! ! no aaa new-model qos ip subnet-zero ! ! ! ! power redundancy-mode redundant no file verify auto spanning-tree mode pvst spanning-tree extend system-id ! vlan internal allocation policy ascending ! class-map match-any p18 match ip dscp af21 class-map match-any p0 match ip dscp default ! ! policy-map pol1 class ph2k18 police 10 mbps 8000 byte conform-action transmit exceed-action drop ! ! Extra config removed ! ! interface FastEthernet3/33 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 3 switchport mode trunk qos trust dscp service-policy input pol1 ! interface FastEthernet3/34 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 2 switchport mode trunk qos trust dscp ! interface Vlan1 no ip address ! interface Vlan2 ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0 ! interface Vlan3 ip address 172.16.2.1 255.255.255.0 !

Switch#sh qos int fas 3/32 QoS is enabled globally Port QoS is enabled Administrative Port Trust State: 'dscp' Operational Port Trust State: 'dscp' Trust device: none Default DSCP: 0 Default CoS: 0 Appliance trust: none Tx-Queue Bandwidth ShapeRate Priority QueueSize (bps) (bps) (packets) 1 N/A disabled N/A 240 2 N/A disabled N/A 240 3 N/A disabled normal 240 4 N/A disabled N/A 240

Switch#sh policy-map interface fas 3/33 FastEthernet3/33

Service-policy input: pol1

Class-map: p18 (match-any) 890162 packets Match: ip dscp af21 (18) 890162 packets police: Per-interface Conform: 1019987148 bytes Exceed: 297053015 bytes

Class-map: class-default (match-any) 525 packets Match: any 525 packets

Reply to
asCisco
Loading thread data ...

How are you generating the test traffic? How are you measuring the rate?

Reply to
Bod43
!

The burst size you have configured is very small. try to adjust this to 128000 for 10mbps

Reply to
John

John,

I did and it worked. Thanks!

-as

Reply to
asCisco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.