Can PIM-dense mode and PIM sparse Mode exchange routing related information

Hi all,

I have a query related to exchanging roting information.

Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse mode get\\use the routing information created by dense mode?

Reply to
harish0611
Loading thread data ...

Harish,

Good question. I think the answer can differ, depending on how you migrate. You'll probably want to lab it up and experiment with different ways to migrate (some routers in dense or sparse-only, some routers with an interface in dense and another in sparse, etc..). Let us know how it goes.

neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

What about sparse-dense mode, during migration? Methinks that will take care of it for you.

AFAIK, the multicast routing table is the multicast routing table - ie it doesn't matter if it's sparse or dense - it should all be there. sho ip mroute

Reply to
bthetford

After thinking about this more, I don't think it will be to big of an issue. Without the 'no ip pim dm-fallback' command configured, sparse mode will fall back to dense mode when an RP isn't reachable. So you might want to wait to bring your RP online until everyone is configured in sparse mode. Just a thought.

neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.