Cable Modem Backup

I have what may appear to be a silly question, but I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me. My current company has 3 offices. There is a central hub, and two satellite offices. Right now, we have a T1 between the HUB and the satellite offices. With the current setup, if the central hub fails, the two satellites cannot talk. That's something I'm going to address. But my question revolves around the connection from each satellite to the HUB. Those connections are each a T1 right now, with an ISDN backup. The ISDN is slow and expensive, and I'd like to replace it - possibly with a cable modem. However, after speaking to the cable vendor, I'm confused. Can we use a cable modem for this purpose without a VPN device? We currently have our CISCO equipment set to automatically go to ISDN when the T1 is unavailable. Can't we do the same with a cable modem?

As a disclaimer, I'm by NO means a Cisco person. To this point, I've focused mainly on the Windows architecture, but I'm trying to learn routers/switches, etc. If anyone can simplify the process, or explain it in terms a Cisco Idiot like me could understand, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
email4matt
Loading thread data ...

The issue with using a connection via cable modem is your buinsess data is being transferred over the Internet

Your T1 is a dedicated connection and for tthis discuss the ISDN connection can be consideredthe same.

If you plan to use a cable modem as backup then you probably want to encypted the data being sent using IPSEC.

Reply to
Merv

Would you (or anyone else) have any sites/whitepapers on how to best set up IPSEC in this type of environment? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
email4matt

Please post the Cisco models that you have at each site along with the IOS versions being used on each.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.