what cable modem to ge

Motorola SB5100 if that's on their list. They're on sale with rebate for like $50 somewhere this week (check BestBuy, CompUSA and Circuit City).

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

I decided to buy a cable modem fro comcast service instead of renting it. What model should be on my list to consider?

Reply to
frank

I just bought a Motorola SB5100 and am very pleased with it.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Jim T.

The SB5100 is great, have it for two weeks and speed with Comcast in Chicago area is great. Can address it using http://192.168.100.1/

Reply to
Jr

Reply to
Jim T.

If you have Comcast, you should be able to activate the modem yourself. Wither your a new Subscriber or just swapping Modems. Plug your Modem, go to

formatting link
(I believe) You can't go anywhere else, and download the setup software it'll be there right on the first Page. It's not the Normal page you would go to when you type that address, and then just follow the direction depending on New user or a current user. In fact I just did it myself Last week when I upgraded my modem to the Motorola 5100. It was quick and easy. Took Minutes not Hours.

Reply to
JBDragon

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for Motorola as well. As I have VoIP with my cable internet service, I am required to use the cable company's provided modems, but did try out the Scientific Webstar DBX2203 cable/VoIP modem. After a couple of weeks, I went back to using a Motorola Surfboard SBV4200 cable/VoIP. The Surfboard simply proved to be much more stable than the Webstar. The webstar also had a strange "jitterizing" effect (robotic voices) during voice calls every now and then. I suspect it was probably something with the analog/digital conversion. After switching back to the Motorola modem, "RoboVoice" is gone. In fact, voice calls with the Motorola even sound better than my old POTS line. I notice with VoIP, I can hear my own background sounds that previously (with a regular phone) weren't picked up. When talking to someone else that has VoIP also, it seems you can hear background sounds at their end that would've been filtered from a regular phone. (?) Maybe I'm imaging it, but seems logical that the VoIP is digitizing sounds that are in frequency ranges that would been filtered by a regular POTS line. (?) *shrug*

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

As a 3100 user , from times it was called surfboard, I definately agree.

Never had a problem with modem except couple of times turned out to be ISP's admin playing around with config files.

Also this thing worked without UPS, for 3 years or more I must add.

Have a nice day

Ilgaz Ocal ps: be sure it has a ethernet connection, whatever you buy.

Reply to
Ilgaz Ocal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.