C805 IOS remote upgrade

Colleagues,

I wonder if it is possible to remotely upgrade IOS in a Cisco 805 router (there is no access to console, but a TFTP server is available at the remote site).

Thanks a lot for any input.

Reply to
Victor Sudakov
Loading thread data ...

Hi Victor,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco IOS Software Upgrade Procedure for Cisco 805 Router:

formatting link
Hope this helps,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

formatting link

No, this does not help, sorry.

The described procedure requires access to the console, I was asking about a remote upgrade (like on a 2600 you can "copy tftp flash" and then reboot).

Reply to
Victor Sudakov

What do _you_ mean by the console?

That document explicitly states "This can either be done with a direct console connection or a virtual telnet connection"

This does allow remote re-grades.

I do not know if the 805 supports more than one image in the flash or if there is room for more than one in your particular case however there is lots of scope for this to go horribly wrong. You could end up with a dead router in Venezuela.

I wouldn't consider it unless you really have physical access and really need the new software.

Take great care that you have enough DRAM and Flash. If you don't have enough RAM the router may not boot.

Basically is sounds that you don't have the experience to do such a risky procedure. Practise on a nearer one first.

Reply to
anybody43

The RS232 port on the box, blue socket, blue cable :) And some terminal emulation program, I like tip(1)

Just read that document a bit further. The document states that you must reload into TinyROM to do the actual upgrade (TFTP download of the IOS).

All those commands like "set file-name = c805-y6-mw.122-8.T10.bin" are for the TinyROM prompt only. I am looking for a way to upgrade without reloading into TinyROM.

[dd]

I have a CCNA certificate :) Don't worry for me.

Reply to
Victor Sudakov

Victor,

The Cisco IOS Software Selector finds the right Cisco IOS software and the amount of memory you need to run the Cisco IOS features you want to run on your Cisco platform:

formatting link
Cisco IOS Upgrade Planner:

formatting link
Cisco Software Advisor:

formatting link
and the Cisco Software Search Tool:

formatting link
Brad Reese
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Excuse me, I was not asking about finding Cisco software and its memory requirements. I was asking about a way to remotely upgrade IOS. "Remotely" means without the access to the RS232 console port on the box, i.e. without rebooting into TinyROM.

If you have something to say on the topic, I will be very grateful.

Reply to
Victor Sudakov

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.