Book Recommendations

All,

I have recently moved into a new job-role, working in the Network Support and Engineering team. I have a CCNA, a few years of experience in the Windows and Linux world, but quite frankly, the sight of a Cisco config scares me! Could anyone recommend some books to ease the pain please?

The company has a large IP network, with IPSec/GRE VPNs, Multicast, Layer 3 switching, Catalyst 6500 switches running CatOS or IOS with BGP and EIGRP routing protocols.

Can anyone recommend any books to get me started please? I need to refresh my knowledge on the basics, plus get started on IOS/CatOS upgrades, VLAN interfaces, VPN tunnels, EIGRP and BGP.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

All the best,

James.

Reply to
James.Brown
Loading thread data ...

The books covering the certifications tend to cover a lot of ground - try looking for the CCNP course books.

most are published by Cisco Press with lots of alternates,

formatting link
- but i find they are cheaper and quicker via Amazon.

CatOS and IOS on the chassis switches are covered in the best practice guides. Try starting at the doc pages:

formatting link
i think the best practice guides are there in the "most popular" bit.

at least all the cisco docs tend to be on line - if you can find them.....

formatting link
support, docs should get you started.

Reply to
stephen

I picked up the O'Reilly IOS In A Nutshell by James Boney when I was getting started, I still refer to it from time to time. The 2nd edition came out on

2005, hopefully there will be a 3rd edition soon.

Some people like the O'Reilly style, some don't.

Reply to
Wayne

I thought you mentioned you had your CCNA. As for books. The Cisco documnetation site is just a wealth of excellent documents.

Reply to
Dana

Get to know the 6500 series white papers site ..

formatting link

Reply to
BernieM

I actually like the IOS Cookbook a lot. For more complex stuff, Cisco.com is a wealth of information. But if you're looking for something hard-copy with straight forward explanations of the stuff you do every day, this book is great.

Also if "quite frankly, the sight of a Cisco config scares me!", I highly suggest you set up a lab at home or at work. You can get 2600s pretty cheap off ebay, 1600s I'm sure people just throw out. A new

871 isnt even that much. Use them at home, until they bore you and you want something with a spiffier feature set.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

All,

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I will have a look at the IOS In A Nutshell and IOS Cookbooks from O'Reilly.

-James.

Reply to
James.Brown

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.