Ex-WorldCom CEO Denies Role in Fraud

By Paul Thomasch

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former WorldCom Inc. Chief Executive Bernard Ebbers took the witness stand in his criminal trial on Monday and flatly denied playing any role in the $11 billion accounting fraud at the telecommunications company.

Ebbers, who faces up to 85 years in prison if convicted of fraud and other charges in connection with the accounting scandal, told jurors he would have put a stop to the fraud had he known about it.

Instead, he said, he was kept in the dark about any financial tricks used by Chief Financial Officer Scott Sullivan to hide soaring expenses or inflate revenues.

"He never told me he had made an entry that wasn't right," Ebbers, 63, testified. "If he had, we wouldn't be here today."

The former basketball coach, milkman and bouncer said he had some "general supervisory responsibility" for accounting, but was "not involved in the actual conduct of the department."

Control of the department was left to Sullivan, Ebbers told a Manhattan federal courtroom packed with press, spectators, and supporters, including his wife.

"As I said before, I wasn't advised by Scott Sullivan of anything ever being wrong with accounting at WorldCom."

As expected, Ebbers' testimony contradicted that of Sullivan, who pleaded guilty to fraud and implicated his boss during earlier testimony as the government's star witness.

Sullivan testified that he warned his boss that the only way the company could meet its earnings projections would be to make "adjustments" to the financial statements.

Ebbers repeatedly responded by telling Sullivan that "we have to hit our numbers," according to the finance chief's testimony.

But no other witness has been able to directly link Ebbers to the fraud, meaning the case will largely come down to whether jurors believe Sullivan or Ebbers, who had been portrayed as an intimidating and detail-oriented boss.

Ebbers, dressed in a blue suit and pale yellow tie, sought to present a different view on Monday, speaking in detail about his teenage years on a Navajo reservation, his five daughters, and his humble beginnings in the telecommunications business.

At one point, he appeared confused by the page numbers on a document introduced into evidence; at another he told jurors he'd donated more than $100 million to charities; later he testified that he considered retirement in 2001 when doctors said "your pumper isn't pumping the way it should."

Speaking with a folksy style, Ebbers said his management style reflected that of a coach, who motivated his staff "to play together" like a team.

"I considered myself demanding," he said "I expected results. I sometimes said things I shouldn't have said maybe," he testified.

Reid Weingarten, lead attorney for the defense, wrapped up his questioning of Ebbers late Monday afternoon, after displaying evidence that Ebbers purchased $5.3 million worth of WorldCom stock with the last of his savings in May 2002, just weeks after he had been forced to resign.

By June, investigators uncovered the accounting problems, and all of Ebbers' stock -- including the shares he had just purchased -- eventually became worthless.

Asked why he bought more stock after his resignation, Ebbers said: "I believed WorldCom was a great company."

He added that he felt "shock" when informed of the accounting problem. "I never thought anything like that had gone on. I had no earthly idea anything like that would occur."

After Weingarten's questions, Assistant U.S. Attorney David Anders cross-examined Ebbers about his knowledge of accounting and his role as the company's ultimate decision maker. Anders' cross-examination is scheduled to continue on Tuesday.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at

formatting link
. Hundreds of new articles daily.

*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This Internet discussion group is making it available without profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of literary, educational, political, and economic issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. I believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner, in this instance Reuters Limited.

For more information go to:

formatting link

Reply to
Lisa Minter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.