Access points on wheels

I have two Aironet 1240 APs. One of them is installed in a vehicle, which also contains several wireless clients. The other AP is stationary and is connected to a server over a wired LAN.

I need to configure the APs so that the clients inside the vehicle could talk to each other using the vehicle AP, and talk to the server when the vehicle comes into the range of the stationary AP.

As far as I could understand setting the vehicle AP into the repeater mode won't work, because it won't accept clients when the root AP is not in range. Clients inside the vehicle, most likely, will not be smart enough to abandon the vehicle AP and associate with the stationary AP instead when they get close to it. Is there anything else I could do, short of introducing another AP into the vehicle (one to serve clients, the other to establish a bridge with the stationary AP)?

Thank you.

Reply to
pm
Loading thread data ...

You could put the clients into an ad-hoc mode and then they would connect to the server when they came into range of the stationary AP.

If you're using an AP because you need WPA/WEP you could always add an additional AP to the vehicle and connect the APs via crossover cable. Then configure the additional AP as a bridge to the stationary AP.

Reply to
Nathan Harmon

Do your Aironets not include WDS? My Linksys WRT54G boxes didn't either, until I put Sveasoft Talisman firmware on them. Now they do exactly what you want, if I select bridging mode.

I have in fact run one in a vehicle, and been able to seamlessly handoff from house to car while listening to streaming music on a notebook (enough data is buffered to cover the handoff time). I can then drive over to the next hilltop and the Linksys will re-associate with my home wireless and the music will come back on!

There is also a repeater mode in Talisman, where the remote AP only bridges from wireless to ethernet and you'd need another AP to accept clients (but you'd get twice the remote throughput).

When you say "setting the vehicle AP into the repeater mode won't work, because it won't accept clients when the root AP is not in range", could this be a DHCP issue? I typically turn off DHCP in all the wireless boxes, and let my home internet router hand out addresses. This of course fails if I turn on a DHCP computer while there is no path to home, but it makes handoffs from one wireless AP to the other much faster and simpler.

My solution is that computers that get turned on away from home get configured with an "automatic private address" on my private LAN, instead of the usual 169.254 apa. That way they still use DHCP if I connect to someone else's LAN with a DHCP server, but work on any part of mine even if they can't see the home router.

Hope this stimulates your thinking...

Loren

Reply to
Loren Amelang

This is exactly what I'm going to try as soon as the units arrive. Thank you for supporting my reasoning.

Reply to
pm

Linksys is a completely different beast. Sveasoft people are writing code with the only goal of cramming as much good stuff in there as possible. Cisco, on the other hand, is very restrictive about the possible uses of their devices (most likely, due to marketing reasons). When set up as a repeater, Aironet needs to associate with a root, and only then it will accept clients. When set up as a bridge, Aironet will only talk to another access point.

I can't use Linksys devices due to environmental and management considerations.

Reply to
pm

What are the wireless client devices in the vehicle ?

Are they manned PC's or some form of automated equipment ?

OS, and device hardware info would be useful

Reply to
Merv

I /think/ that the Cisco access points differ from the consumer grade ones in one respect that may be useful here.

They can be configured to have multiple SSIDs. If the APs are to remain in the vehicle I would fancy configuring the mobile AP to have two SSIDs, one for the mobile PCs to connect to and one for an AP to AP bridge.

You may of course find that just using the two APs as seperate devices with some sort of roaming will work fine.

alt.internet.wireless has a lot of expertise and experience in this field.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.