A router question

Current my network connects to the ISP thru a T1 line, it has address block 65.113... . I have another ISDN line from the same ISP and it is allocated IP ablock 216.61.....

My mail, web servers currently on the block 65.113. If I use the ISDN line as the backup, then when it is active ( T1 down ), do the ISP automatically re-route the packet to 65.113 to this ISDN line ? Do I have to tell the ISP in advance that I will use the ISDN line as backup ?

Thanks for your advice,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651
Loading thread data ...

You need to tell the ISP to set up failover routing for this. If they sold you the ISDN as a backup for the T1, they probably set this up at that time.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

address

Thank you very much. I thought this ISDN was bought as a backup originally, but I will call the ISP to verify that.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

No matter what the ISP says, I would test it for my own curiosity. During a non-critical time, yank the T1. You can then monitor traffic, or just use a dial-up to a different isp to test getting in to your network.

Reply to
Scooby

Yes, I absolutely take your advice. I 've always tested everything if possible. That's why I stay too much time in the office during weekends :-)

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

address

I just found out on the papers that these two lines go to two different ISPs. In this case, will they work with each other to do the fail-over routing ?

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

I have T1 and a isdn BRI i the same router. I use cost on the route.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 194.xxx.xx.1 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 194.xxx.xxx.129 200

Regards //Jan

Reply to
Mr Ping

different

fail-over

Are your two gateways 194.xxx.xxx.1 and 194.xxx.xxx.129 in the same or different subnet ?

I may be wrong, what I worry is if the 2nd ISP ( who provides my ISDN ) will route packets to destinations on T1 ( which belongs to 1st ISP ) over the ISDN line. How does it know the T1 line is down ?

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Probably not. In this case, you usually need to be using BGP so that your ASN can originate the route advertisement. Although it's not technically prohibited by the protocols, by convention we don't normally allow multiple ASNs to originate the same route.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

They are in diffrent subnet.

You can see it int the console log or a syslog

//Jan

Reply to
Mr Ping

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.