836 routing for 3560 vlans?

Hello,

I have a 836 with a 12.2 SI which I want to do the routing for different vlans which are build on a 3560 directly connected to the

836. I tried to trunk the 836's e0 to the switch but either the 836 or the SI on it cannot trunk. Anybody having an idea how I do this? Thx Steffen
Reply to
PabloFiasko
Loading thread data ...

Could you please post the configuration of the interfaces that you want to establish the trunk and maybe a "show interfaces switchport"? Did you set the same encapsulation/tagging on both sides and - if using dot1q - did you set the same native vlan? What does your logging say about it?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Turba

I don't think that 836 can do inter-vlan routing since it is a really small and slow (cpu) box. I've looked up on feature navgator and did not find that 8xx series can support dot1q at all.

Cat3560 does support trunking since one of my customers is using it that way...

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

The 3560 can do inter-vlan routing itself since it's a layer 3 switch.

Reply to
Wayne

well actually this is all in a test lab so I can do whatever config I want... The solution I am trying to build should then be rolled out offsite. What I want is: I have a 3560 with 3 VLANs configured. Connected to that 3560 are 4

2950s via fibre trunks. In front of the 3560 is at the moment the 836 terminating an adsl line, which will maybe be replaced soon by either a 2800 router or another security device with firewalling capabilities. The 3560 should therefore not do the routing (altough it could).
Reply to
PabloFiasko

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.