Subnetting Within Single VLAN

Hello..

I have an ASA and sub-interfaces setup for multiple VLANS on a single interface.

One of the ranges is 10.1.79.0/24. On the switch I have servers plugged in and a WIFI router also plugged in. The ports are all members of this VLAN assigned to the 10.1.79.0/24.

I'm trying to split the range to a /25. So I assigned the Wifi router a WAN address of 10.1.79.129/25 and a LAN IP of 10.1.79.130/25. Range is 131-254. All hosts connected by Wifi can connect to the network in inet with no problems.

Servers plugged into the switch are assigned the 10.1.79.0/25 range addresses. They also can connect to the internet and network resources with no problems.

On the ASA I have created 2 sub-interfaces one for each sunet

10.1.79.0/25 & 10.1.79.128/25.

Is my configuration valid and will it work? I know I can try, but I havent implemented this yet on real hardware. Does the fact that I have the Wifi router and other servers and devices on the same VLAN make a difference; yet I'm trying to subnet the range as if they are on 2 seperate networks(VLANs)? I had to give the VLAN IDs in the ASA sub-interfaces configurations; will this be a problem?

In my opinion this may not work because the Wifi router isnt truely on its own VLAN and the ASA wont be able to tell the difference in the traffic, but then I think Layer 3 and that it shouldnt care.

Any help is appreciated..

GNY

Reply to
GNY
Loading thread data ...

Bumpitty Bump!

:-)

GNY

Reply to
GNY

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.