3 Cisco 677's and only 1 will Train

I have 3 Cisco 677's connecting using T1.413 to an MSN Qwest DSL line. Out of the 3, I can only get 1 of the modems to train up (and it works great). They have all been upgraded to the lastest version of CBOS (2.4.8) and supports G.Lite, G.DMT, and T1.413.

On the 2 modems that won't train, I noticed they were giving the error LOF (Loss of Framing).

Does anyone know what this means and how I might remedy it?

Any other suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Thank you for your assistance.

Respectfully,

Gary

Reply to
ANTISPAM_garycnew_ANTISPAM
Loading thread data ...

I have been sifting through all the information I can, for the past two days, in search of an answer as to why only one of my three 677's works with my ISP.

I have configured each modem with the same cfg file, yet only one out of the three modems will train and send/receive packets (the other two will not train).

I have tried upgrading/downgrading the CBOS versions, but none of them seem to do the trick. The only difference I can see between the three modems is that each has a different version of the ADI firmware installed. I am interested in upgrading the ADI and found a copy of the ADI 3.0 firmware at postyware.dyndns.org.

formatting link
formatting link
Before I upgrade the ADI, I would like to know if it is possible to backup the current ADI firmware on the modem. Also, do you know where I can find other versions of the ADI firmware and the 677 2.2.0 CBOS firmware?

These are second hand Cisco 677's, but I can't believe 2 of 3 are broken.

Thank you for your assistance.

Respectfully,

Gary

Reply to
ANTISPAM_garycnew_ANTISPAM

see the tftp procedures in the manual at

formatting link
from your Windows PC do a tftp get command for the image file name currently loaded on the 677

You might be better off loading a complete new image onto the 677 from the same site.

Do your homework otherwise you will end up with a paper weight ...

Reply to
Merv

Gary,

By chance is it the same 677 that will train up out of the three?

I remember helping someone on dslreports.com that was having a similar problem - one dsl modem would train, the other wouldn't. Turned out the ARP tables couldn't handle any additional devices at his ISP. One modem would work, who's MAC address was still "acceptable", but the other wouldn't since the tables were full.

Really weird problem - perhaps something like that is happening to you and your 677's?

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob

Thats about all that Cisco ever released. There wasn't a huge number of releases, and CBOS 2.2 still has the code-red triggered reboot bugs.

I stopped recommending customers pick up second hand 677's because there seemed to be too many that failed to train up in the field. I never bothered to figure out why, the 678's are many times more reliable for training up on ADSL, and got fairly cheap on eBay.

Sounds to me that you are putting way too much effort into it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.