2924 + vlans

I have 2 2924's with the WS-X2924-XL-V expansion port in each. I have the trunks between switches set up via port group 1 on 2 interfaces on each swithc. It seems to work well

on switch 2, I have defined a vlan for ports 17-24, however after doing so, i cannot access any network resources.

We have a 2600 upstream, and it doesnt support encapsulation atm, ill have to upgrade it.. however my question is this

I never found a place to define the netowrk range for the second vlan.. Reading up, intervace vlan2 ip add.. is just for management.

So here it is..

Can I configure this second switch (which is trunked up to the main, and hte main goes to the router) to pass all vlans upstream ? Or do I need a subinterface on the router with dotq encap and a vlan defined ?

I am a newb to vlans, the switches work just fine, it is just those 8 ports in vlan 2 that do me no good.

I have this on both trunks

interface FastEthernet1/1 port group 1 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet1/2 port group 1 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005 switchport mode trunk

vlan 1 routes just fine, vlan 2 dies hehe. I understand if you ignore this. But if you have time and dont mind it would rock for some help..

router -> switch1 switch2

the vlan is defined on switch 2.

Reply to
turnip
Loading thread data ...

I could be off base here, but I thought you could not create more than one vlan on a 2924? Doesn't it allow only one SVI? I thought you have to create some place else and trunk it in, and then assign the ports...but could be wrong...don't work with small switches too often, so forgive me if I am off base.

You may need to create a sub int on the router (unless your other switch is something that has more L3 capability, then trunk it from the router to switch 1, and then trunk the vlans between the two switches.

Perhaps someone else can help add clarity.

Reply to
Trendkill

On Oct 2, 10:49 am, Trendkill wrote:

Building configuration...

Current configuration: ! version 12.0 no service pad service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime no service password-encryption ! hostname 192_sub ! enable secret 5 $1$V8a5$.pOnSyDIEGBo01iFaQVZp/ ! ! ! ! ! ! ip subnet-zero ip dhcp-server 192.168.0.111 ! ! ! interface FastEthernet0/1 ! interface FastEthernet0/2 ! interface FastEthernet0/3 ! interface FastEthernet0/4 ! interface FastEthernet0/5 ! interface FastEthernet0/6 ! interface FastEthernet0/7 ! interface FastEthernet0/8 ! interface FastEthernet0/9 ! interface FastEthernet0/10 ! interface FastEthernet0/11 ! interface FastEthernet0/12 ! interface FastEthernet0/13 ! interface FastEthernet0/14 ! interface FastEthernet0/15 ! interface FastEthernet0/16 ! interface FastEthernet0/17 ! interface FastEthernet0/18 ! interface FastEthernet0/19 ! interface FastEthernet0/20 ! interface FastEthernet0/21 ! interface FastEthernet0/22 ! interface FastEthernet0/23 ! interface FastEthernet0/24 ! interface FastEthernet2/1 port group 1 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet2/2 port group 1 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet2/3 ! interface FastEthernet2/4 ! interface VLAN1 ip address 192.168.0.249 255.255.255.0 no ip directed-broadcast no ip route-cache ! ip default-gateway 192.168.0.253 snmp-server engineID local 00000009020000D0C0F257C0 snmp-server community private RW snmp-server community public RO ! line con 0 exec-timeout 0 0 transport input none stopbits 1 line vty 0 4 password login line vty 5 15 password login ! end

User Access Verification

Password: office_192_main>en Password: office_192_main#sho vlan VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- ---------

-------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12, Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa1/3, Fa1/4 2 it-dept active Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20, Fa0/21, Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/24 1002 fddi-default active 1003 token-ring-default active 1004 fddinet-default active 1005 trnet-default active

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2

---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- --------

------ ------

1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 0 0 2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - - 0 0 1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - - 0 0 1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - srb 0 0 1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee - 0 0 1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm - 0 0 office_192_main#

that implys it supports more then 1 vlan or am I wrong ?

The upstream router does not support encap dotq, it doesnt have ipplus flash and lacks the mem for it... I am hoping to do this in the switch if possible

Reply to
turnip

It supports trunking and multiple vlans, but not as the L3 SVI for multiple vlans, only one (at least that is what I think I remember about those switches). This means that another switch can trunk in the networks, and the 2924 can put ports in it, it just won't work as the router for more than one network. What is your other switch, anything more robust? Can you create the networks there and trunk it over?

Overall, wait for one of these other guys to weigh in (there are some really good folks on here), but I don't think that switch supports what you want...hopefully I am wrong.

Reply to
Trendkill

And, I know you can configure multiple vlans and interfaces, but they just won't work. When I hit this issue (if I am correct on thinking this is the same model as when I did this a long time ago), I could create vlans and interfaces, but nothing would work outside of the first vlan interface. As I said, hopefully i am wrong.

Reply to
Trendkill

the upstream main switch is the same model (small company) =)

Reply to
turnip

I was able to update the router IOS, create a sub interface, assign it to a vlan. and then trunk one port on the second vlan up to it..

All is working. But id love more info on these switches..

Reply to
turnip

That's good news. I'm sure someone will pipe up and provide the answer you need on the 2924, just seems like a slow day for the heavy hitters ;-) other than myself. If I get some time, I will do some searching on Cisco, and will let you know if/when I find something....take care.

Reply to
Trendkill

And here is a link related to previous posts about this topic...which is what is leading me to believe you can only have one routed interface on that switch, and its for mgmt only. Again, could be wrong and might depend on hardware, but this is along the lines of what I was thinking.

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

You are quite correct. The 2900 series supports only one SVI interface so by creating a second vlan for switch ports without any means of routing that subnet/vlan those ports will be cut off from the network. A trunk to a "router on a stick" is usually the answer. The 2924 is really just a layer2 switch with one SVI interface designed for management.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

That is what I was thinking. Sorry man! Hopefully you are at least ok with your new code and router on a stick. Let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Reply to
Trendkill

Router on a stick is a router with one FE correct ?

Out 26xx has a few interfaces, so its not a stick per say. I am ok with it, if its proper and correct. It does work, But I am too much of a Cisco switching newb to know weather this is an "incorrect" setup.

Thank you all for the help, it is much appreciated.

Reply to
turnip

Router on a stick means it is connected to some switches and provides the layer 3 functionality rather than a 6500 or enterprise class switch with MSFC. Generally its for small offices or retail locations, where the router connects to the WAN and then provides the layer 2/3 definition for small vlans for the actual office or retail machines (registers, etc). It is a fine design, its just not hugely scalable and should be re-architected when you start to get towards challenging requirements such as lots of machines, workstations, or large bandwidth. This is because ALL traffic inter-vlan goes up that uplink, and you can start to have performance issues since you only have one trunk. Even if you have two trunks, one will most likely be blocking due to spanning tree.

In short, its a fine setup, just be careful as your requirements get larger or more complicated, as this will be the first thing you will probably want to address if that is the case.

Reply to
Trendkill

Nitpick - a router on a stick is where traffic between different logical interfaces travels goes to and from the same place, often on the same physical interface. You'd use one to link different logical subnets on a piece of equipment which is unable to provide the routing function itself, e.g. ethernet switch with VLANs, ATM or frame relay switch with different VCs.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Yes I agree wholeheartedly, same interface. I don't deal with them too much, so just took a stab at a rough definition for the OP. Yours is much better/specific. Appreciate the clarification...don't want to steer anyone off. Take care Sam.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.