Newbie question - What's wrong with my switch?

Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab. A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working. I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE cable? I have a soldering iron:)

When I power up this switch the Systen light stays amber - which I hope I know means that the post test did not pass.

I also know from the outpt listed here below that Ethernet Controller (2) is bad.

Any help in identifying and trouble shooting the problem would be welcome.

Thanks.

output of switch follows...

========================================================================

File "flash:c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-12c.EA1/c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin" uncompr essed and installed, entry point: 0x3000 executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc. 170 West Tasman Drive San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(12c)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 25-Nov-02 00:07 by antonino Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0075FE48

Initializing flashfs... flashfs[1]: 20 files, 3 directories flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 15998976 flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 5582848 flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 10416128 flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 8 seconds. flashfs[1]: Initialization complete. ...done Initializing flashfs. POST: CPU Buffer Tests : Begin POST: CPU Buffer Tests : End, Status Passed POST: CPU Interface Tests : Begin POST: CPU Interface Tests : End, Status Passed POST: Switch Core Tests : Begin POST: Switch Core Tests : End, Status Passed POST: CPU Interface 2nd Stage Tests : Begin POST: CPU Interface 2nd Stage Tests : End, Status Passed POST: CAM Subsystem Tests : Begin POST: CAM Subsystem Tests : End, Status Passed POST: Ethernet Controller Tests : Begin Ethernet Controller (2) RAM POST: RAM Failed to send write command (data lines) POST: Ethernet Controller Tests : End, Status Passed INIT: failed satellites initializationcisco WS-C3550-24 (PowerPC) processor (rev ision H0) with 65526K/8192K bytes of memory. Processor board ID CHK0704W0F1 Last reset from warm-reset Bridging software. Running Layer2/3 Switching Image

Ethernet-controller 1 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

Ethernet-controller 2 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces Ethernet-controller 2 failed POST POST error status : external RAM test failed

Ethernet-controller 3 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

Ethernet-controller 4 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

384K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory. Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0B:FD:99:D9:00 Motherboard assembly number: 73-5700-09 Power supply part number: 34-0966-02 Motherboard serial number: CAT070307NY Power supply serial number: DCA065221FS Model revision number: H0 Motherboard revision number: A0 Model number: WS-C3550-24-EMI System serial number: CHK08040F11

!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:32: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan 00:00:34: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console 00:00:35: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(12c)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 25-Nov-02 00:07 by stephan
Reply to
remolacha
Loading thread data ...

At $2 of so on eBay, vs. probably 10 hours of your time making it, wouldn't it be easier to buy one on ebay for your DCE to DTE cable? Those DB60 connectors are murder to hand solder..

Umm, the problem is that you have fried hardware, and fixing it will most likely involve unsoldering highly dense surface mount chips, finding said chips in the repair channel to be able to even buy them, and reflow soldering them back on?

The switch probably functions for the first 12 ports and the last 2, just not for ports 13 to 24?

The 2nd bank of 12 ports is probably fried beyond most people's ability to repair for even 10 times what Smartnet would cost to get it repaired (since the limited lifetime warantee isn't going to apply to you).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I'd recommend Dantrak from eBay for cables. They are top notch and great to work with. I agree about not hand soldering those things.

Regards,

James

CCNA, Network+, Security+, 220-601(A+ Core)

Reply to
jwkrych

Try

formatting link
for back 2 back cables. I have had dozens of these over the last few years and never a problem. Great price too.

Reply to
Andy Roberts

Thanks for the link Andy. Would a DB60 to DB60 Crossover work ? There are so many cables listed that I am a little bit confused as to which one is the one I need....

The Catalyst 3550 ended up in the garbage where it came from - I don't have time to fool around with defective equipment wondering if it's me who's doing something wrong - maybe at a later time when I gather some experience with these boxes...

Andy Roberts wrote in news:C43C9ABD.235% snipped-for-privacy@mac.com:

Reply to
remolacha

jwkrych wrote in news:19edndbQk8H1PovVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks for tip James.

Reply to
remolacha

Doug McIntyre wrote in news:48153641$0$72689$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.iphouse.net:

Yeah, it ended up in the grabage - will try to get me another switch - it's no good to try to learn on something that is broken...

Reply to
remolacha

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.