need to buy pre-made cat5e patch - need advice

I will be moving our existing connections from an old crappy patch panel to a new Panduit rack. I have the patch panels ordered, will be using Panduit keystones and cable managers.

I need to order pre-made cat5e....pretty much will all be 4ft. I don't want a possibly cheaply made cable since we are spending money to do it right with the racks, but don't want the most expensive $7/cable either.

So I have a few questions, looking for some opinions. I am looking at some cables from Milestek that are 4ft, molded and booted cat5e...each one is $2.75.

Anyone have any advice? Is there a cheaper cable out there that will do the job just as good? I have always made my own out of Belden wire with AMP connectors....but I don't want to make 500+ cables.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
ONJ
Loading thread data ...

Cyberguys.com has very inexpensive cables. I don't know if they are lacking anything in quality but the ones I've used have been fine. I'd be interested to hear from others if they don't think they are up to snuff.

Unfortunately they don't have 4ft. In quantity 3ft are $1.18/ea and 7ft are $1.72/ea. Cat 5e, molded low-profile boots and gold contacts manufactured by ZIOtek.

formatting link
Just a customer.

Reply to
Jim Prescott

Yeah, I've always been happy with the Cyberguys cables (and pricing and customer service). If they don't have the length you want, and you want 500 of them, I'd bet you can talk them into a buy of exactly what you want.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Ditto on Cyberguys. I've bought cables from them for years. Never had a problem.

It's worth having an inventory of cables in all lengths down to 1 ft (which Cyberguys didn't have the last time I looked.)

I did a really neat rack of gear where patch panels were next to high-density switches and 1ft cables were just the ticket.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Milestek is fine. Generally good stuff reasonably priced. I've also had good results with Cyberguys. And if you go down to CrapUSA and write down the part number and plug it into Froogle you're going to be amazed at the price difference.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've had way too many times where my aging fingers couldn't easily release a booted cable when the boot had hardened over time. Or was in a hard to reach place. Or tucked in with 20 other closely spaced cables. Or... Or even when new. I now only get what I think of as snagless where there is a flexible rubber "sidewall" on both sides of the clip.

Reply to
DLR

They have some CAT6 cables in a 7-inch length.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Well..sounds like from all the responses that yall like Cyberguys...I think I will give them a try.

Thanks alot gentlemen/ladies

Reply to
ONJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.