Aironet 1242G with Windows Server 2003 R2 Help!

Hello all,

I was really hoping for some suggestions of the best route to go with the scenario I have below as I don't have much experience with 802.1x setups.

Scenario: I need two tablet PC's to authenticate via an Aironet 1200 series AP to access resources on a Windows Server 2003 DC that's running IAS/RADIUS. Some machines will be hardwired to access resources on the server as well.

Problem: It didn't work :)

Questions: Do I need to setup the DC/IAS/Radius server as an enterprise CA as well?

Does the Aironet 1200 AP have to be directly connected to a secondary NIC on the Radius Server or can it simply be plugged into the switch as long as it is on the same subnet (which it currently is)?

Do the tablet PC's need to be hardwired to the network first and log into the domain so that the computer accounts are created or not?

Since it will only be two machines that need to authenticate wirelessly can I just setup the wireless clients manually.

If anyone has a link to a step by step unlike the 170 page Microsoft whitepaper then that would really help!

Reply to
CoolerThenZero
Loading thread data ...

The Cisco 1200 series wireless access points (WAPs) do not have to be directly connected to the Windows server network interface. They can be connected across an ethernet switched network or even on the other side of routers within the network as long as network traffic filtering is not in place to block the intended communication used between these devices.

If I can provide more detail about the IEEE 802.1x authentication using Microsoft servers, I will try to post at a later time unless someone else can provide you a quicker or better answer.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Thanks for your input Scott. I've got the following config which I used Microsoft's 170 page pdf to go by and also they supply you with an msi package that has all the necessary scripts to Install the CA, Setup the CA's IAS certificate, and also give you a GPO to link to your domain so that client comouters can automatically enroll the IAS Server certificate (which worked). However, after trying for almost 8 hours it was a no go. I created an HTML page here with alot of details of the configuration of the Aironet 1242 WAP & the Windows Server 2003 IAS Server. If anyone has any valuable input on the Aironet WAP's and Server 2003 setups, please link here

formatting link
and provide some help. Thanks.

Reply to
CoolerThenZero

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.