CAT6 Requires Shielded Connectors?

Does CAT6 require shielding around the connector? The Systimax cables we have purchased all have such shielding, whereas some Intellinet cables we have are without any connector shielding. I'm curious what the standard requires.

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
JGolan

As I recently posted in the ethernet group, for the purpose of reducing alien crosstalk, according to IEEE studies, the shield (foil) does not need to be grounded. Not grounding it reduces the problems with ground loops and such.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

But my question wasn't about how to ground shielding in the connector.... My question was such shielding required at all.

If I find CAT6 cables with shielding in the connector, how am I going to determine whether it is connected to ground anyway?

Reply to
Will

(snip)

The suggestion of some is that foil shielded cable helps against alien crosstalk, which seems likely to be a problem at 10G if cables are packed into a cable tray or raceway. Another solution is to put thicker outer insulation on which keeps the pairs farther apart. For that purpose, the IEEE found and I agree, ungrounded foil shield works.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Will schrieb:

IEC 60603-7-4 is for the unshielded 250 MHz connector (aka Cat.6). IEC 60603-7-5 is for the shielded beast.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Beneken

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.