Can Cat5E UTP cable be exposed to the outdoors, or burried?

I'm going to install a wireless access point outside on a pole. Will UTP CAT5e cable be okay if it is exposed the outside? Can I bury the cable? If not, is there a particular type of Cat5e cable that is more suitable for this type of installation, or should I put it in a conduit?

Thank you, Steve Smith

Reply to
Nevest
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
JGolan

The deciding factor might be how far you are going to run it. We use outdoor rated CAT5 attached to the house for wireless client units, I know Home Depot and Lowes carries it in 100 ft lengths and 1,000 ft box. If its a long run that's not attached to anything, using some indoor rated CAT5 (outdoor rated better) with grey outdoor rated PVC would work

- just keep the cable out of the sun if you use the indoor rated CAT5. That corrugated split flex tubing works as a sun shiled and use a drip loop.

If you're going to bury it, use the gel-filled "direct buried" rated cable and place it inside plastic conduit for easier maintenance and upgrades (you can never run too much cable).

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

BTW...the outdoor rated cable means its sunlight resistant and rain resistant. Its not good to use it as a direct bury.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

NEVER use indoor rate cable for outdoors use. Unless you want to replace it after a couple of years. You should use PE gelly filled cable, and place it inside a plastic conduit. Remember that the maximum distance allowed is 300ft. After that, Ethernet may not work. Note that in case of thunderstorm, lightning can sometimes be carried by that cable back to your switch unless you install protection. suggestion: according to price, it might be simpler to install a wireless repeater. Or even maybe just use adirectionnal antenna.

Reply to
golgot1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.