10 base 2 vs. Cat5 speed...?

You can do 1000Mbps over Cat5. I don't know if anyone has been able to get 10Gbps over Cat5 or not - it wouldn't be spec but it might be doable.

To answer your question - the speed would most likely be whatever the slowest device on the network is. If you have machines with 10Mbps cards, cat5 isn't going to help you any.

Reply to
in2sheep
Loading thread data ...

Howdy,

I currently have a 10base2 line that is limited to 10 Mbps.

Other things held equal, what would the speed be were I to replace that line with Cat5...?

Sincere thanks,

Reply to
Kenneth

That would depend entirely on your equipment. For example, if your NICs are one of those multiple connection 10 Mb types, then you'll not get much benefit, unless you could run full duplex. If you upgraded your NICs and hub or switch, you could go all the way to 1 Gb, assuming your computers could support the throughput.

Reply to
James Knott

tom/ken wrong person

Reply to
Perkowski

Kenneth wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You need to upgrade both your cabling and your equipment to achieve higher speeds.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.