I have been looking at my SB5100 Configuration and Status settings. Everything seems to be working fine, but when I looked at the Log section, all the dates are 01-01-1970, and there is a not at the bottom that reads "Log has reached it's maximum size, older data was lost". I didn't find anywhere to clear the log. Also in the status page, it tells me that "Establish Time of Day" is Done. I suppose that is set by my cable provider, (Adelphia). Are they responsible for the incorrect date/time on my Log. The times of the log entries are not in sequential order, so that leads me to believe that there may be entries from several days included. Most of the entries are near to 00:xx hours, which may be occuring at power up and shortly thereafter. That makes me wonder if Adelphia it setting the date/time to 01-01-1970/00:00 each time I power up and connect. I always power down everything at night, then power up each morning. Neither down/up time is anywhere near 00:00. Could anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
The modem depends on an NTP server provided by the ISP. It defaults to
01-01-1970 when it's unable to fetch the current time and date.
When this happens, the SB5100 will make an entry in the log: "ToD request sent- No Response received".
Several years ago when I subscribed to OOL, I was wondering the same exact thing. I wrote a simple SNTP v1 & v2 client to poll the IP which my ISP provides for the modem to get it's Time of Day ( % docsdiag -vv | grep -i "time server" ) and found that the NTP daemon was simply turned off (at the ISP).
Recently, I noticed that my modem fetched the time. I posted a note thanking the Engineers and received a private reply that indeed the CMTS I'm on had just had it's NTP (ToD) server turned on.
Take a look at my messages on the issue:
I suggest you try to find out the Adelphia assigned NTP server with a utility like DocsDiag (if SNMP is enabled and the read string wasn't changed; I don't know about whether this is true or not of Adelphia).
If not ask a tech or make a post in the Adelphia forum on BroadBandReports [
Then download/write any utility which queries SNTP servers and run it against your particular server.
BTW 1970-01-01 00:00:00 is the modem default. While it's powered up it increments it's volitile internal clock. Every time it's rebooted, it must query the assigned NTP server.
HTH Shed some light. David
PS Example of my old logs (my ISP had disabled the NTP server and my logs filled up with hundreds of events like this):
1970-01-08 02:50:16 4-Error D004.3 ToD request sent- No Response received
1970-01-01 00:00:11 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:14 4-Error D004.3 ToD request sent- No Response received
1970-01-01 00:00:13 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Example of current logs (with proper time after the ISP enabled the NTP daemon):
2004-12-15 18:14:19 5-Warning D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
2004-12-01 01:39:34 5-Warning D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
2004-11-30 18:14:19 5-Warning D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Upon closer examination of the Log, I see that every time I power up the modem, it is requesting ToD information from my ISP, however, it goes on to state that there is "No Response Received". So that would indicate it is a failure of Adelphia to send the information, and the modem defaults to 01-01-1970 00:00 each time.
Thanks Karyn. That is exactly the conclusion that I came to after a closer look at the log. I'll pursue this issue with Adelphia in the near future, and also take a look at the forum you mentioned at dslreports. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.