Wireless network card hogs cpu

How does a card hog CPU ?

My task manager only shows processes using CPU. If there is a process talking to the card and it's using a lot of CPU, you could lower its priority if you think it won't have adverse affect.

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

Is there anyway to make a wireless PCI network card stop hogging the CPU?

Reply to
Marc

Sure, if you are the designer, there are three things: chipset, firmware, and driver. For the rest of us, the best you can do is pick a card which does not hog the CPU. Generally, the fastest cards do more work right on the NIC so there is less for the CPU to do.

Which card/OS/system are you having trouble with?

Reply to
Basic Bob

Don't know, but you should check the docs for each card and see what the description says. We had cards years ago that were called smart cards that did much of the TCP/IP work on the card (which had its own CPU and was downloaded with firmware on system startup).

Today's CPUs are so fast that I wouldn't even bother paying the extra bucks for a smart card (we were running like 286's back in those days and it made sense at the time). I would think 3Com would have smart cards and you probably pay at least quadruple for them since a reg card is like $10-20. They'll offer remote management, processing offload features and the like.

The NIC shouldn't be hogging the CPU unless you either have negligible CPU or extremely high network traffic. I would check both first. See what the CPU is like with the network disabled and see how much traffic you have with the net enabled and a monitoring tool checking the traffic load. You can get a little info from the Task Manager Networking tab (on XP and the like for example). I seldom go over 1% network utilization unless downloading which still stays under 10% since it's WB (not local LAN).

Reply to
$Bill

And which card is that?

Generally, the fastest cards do more work right on the NIC so there

Same question.

Reply to
Marc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.