Upload speed problems with large files

I've been dealing with an upload speed problem that I think I've found where to look, but I don't know what to do about it!

When I upload large files (>2MB) to a FTP server, with each file the upload speed begins at 2Mbps (Verizon FIOS) and then slowly deteriorates to about 250Kbps and holding steady until that file completes and the next file begins at the full 2Mbps again. This happens no matter the FTP client I use and no matter the server I upload to. After changing from Comcast to Verizon, and changing routers from Linksys to Dlink, I've decided that the problem has to lie in the WinXP Pro networking setup. Here is where I am stuck - I've NO IDEA what to do about that, and I can't find any info on other people that have had this problem and solved it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??? I need to know what aspects of my networking setup could be affecting this problem.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice you could give!!

Reply to
Dan in Dallas
Loading thread data ...
  • Dan in Dallas :

Most likely your ISP caps your upstream speed.

Reply to
Kelly D. Grills

You don't mention what kind of connection you have. Most broadband connections are 10 times as fast (or more) downstream versus upstream. The reason your uploads are slower is because you have a slower upstream connection, probably 256kbps, which would account for your speeds. The

2mbps initial speed is only reporting the speed at which you fill the associated buffers and caches.
Reply to
Ron Hunter

Actually, I did mention that I'm on Verizon FIOS with a 2Mbps upload speed (5Mbps download, but that's not the issue). There is no cap - as I mentioned, the speed starts out at full-speed, then *decreases* over time on a per-file basis. Each new file starts out at full speed.

I am monitoring the transfer speeds live, so I know for sure what I'm getting.

Reply to
Dan in Dallas

Where are you uploading to? You're limited by the capabilities of the server being uploaded to. You're also limited by every link between you and the end point.

What you describe could be a buffer someplace filling up. There's no easy way to test where that might be, but if it's anywhere outside your Verizon FIOS MAN, your 2Mbps cap may be irrelevant.

Reply to
Warren

Is this a wireless connection or wired?

Reply to
Jbob

Upload speed always is dependent on the recieve speed at the other end. If this is upload to your Verizon personal web/file space, Verizon might well be limiting upload simply to prevent its servers from being used for "illicit" purposes. FTP sites might also be limiting receipts to help with sharing resources. You might try

formatting link
or
formatting link
for upload speed tests on servers with more capability.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Wired connection. Upload to non-Verizon site via FTP.

So it could be a "buffer filling up"? Could that be anywhere in the path between me and the destination? It does appear that some days, the problem exists, and some days it does not.

Reply to
Dan in Dallas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.