Question about Samsung 12XX series Laser pirnters

My question is, has anyone tried using them on an HP Jetdirect port? I want to know if they have any oddball software they monitors toner levels and the like. my current Canon i550 does this, and everytime I print, a little window comes up from the Canon driver telling me it can't communicate with the printer. Never mind the fact that the printer downstairs is chugging away with no problem. I can disable that software, but I have to do it for every account on every machine. For whatever reason, the Canon ink monitor thingy can't read from a standard tcp/ip port. Actually I guess I have two questions. One, can I disable this Canon stuff and does anyone have any advice getting this printer to work flawlessly on an HP jetdirect port? Two, Can the Samsung 12XX laser printers work flawlessly on an HP JD port? Thanks!

Reply to
Harry Edwards
Loading thread data ...

The Canon utils require an IEEE-1284 connection, which requires the ability to both send AND receive 8 bits of data via the 8-bit data bus. Most JetDirect print servers only support the Centronics interface, which means they can only send on the 8-bit data bus.

I have the same problem with my Canon printer, and simply live with it.

As to the Samsung, if they implement special utilities, it is doubtful that they work through the JetDirect, unless they implement the trick of using the 4 status lines to read a nybble at a time. Check to see if they REQUIRE an IEEE-1284 compatible cable or not.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.