Account info not found

I guess I do not fully understand... You cannot connect at all, or you cannot connect to the Comcast web site/account management? If you cannot connect at all, you are connecting to the web site via another method, i.e., dial-up?

Q
Reply to
Quaoar
Loading thread data ...

Comcast stopped working for me last week, giving a "account info not found" page. It pulls an IP and is obviously connecting to Comcast, but somehow they seem to have lost my record.

Called tech support on Saturday and the ticket was escalated, but as of Wednesday I still haven't heard anything from them. I've called for a status report twice, and was told both times that I'll be called when it's fixed, so "stop calling" :(

Any ideas?

TIA, Keith

Reply to
Keith Whitney

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:09:38 -0400, Quaoar wrote (in article ):

I am connecting via my cable modem, but cannot get beyond Comcast's "account info not found" web page. I can ping Comcast, but nothing beyond.

Reply to
Keith Whitney

You can or cannot ping mail.comcast.net? I've never seen the account info page, probably since I don't have an account problem. Open TCP/IP properties in your connection, select General tab, Advanced button, Options Tab, TCP/IP filtering properties button. On the filtering dialog, check Enable.... and then Permit All on all three ports/protocols.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Assuming that you're entering the correct account number, this is something that only Comcast can fix.

Make sure you're using your account number from your most recent bill. There is also a second number that needs to be entered. _Usually_ it's the last 6 (I think) digits of your account number, BUT if you are in a market that used to have separate accounts for cable TV and Internet service, it is probably the last digits of your original Internet account number.

Did you recently get a new modem? A new modem would trigger this situation. Someone putting your old modem on the network somewhere else could cause a problem, too, if it wasn't properly removed from your account.

It would be very unusual for the account information to disappear from Comcast's system. Accounts are primarily tied to the physical location. Sometimes people moving into new subdivisions can't get service immediately because the GIS systems haven't been updated, and their location doesn't exist yet. If for some reason the latest GIS information eliminated your residence, it may take a lot of work to figure out why, and how to get it back in so it isn't just deleted again with the next GIS update. This could happen if you're living in a flat, back house, townhouse, etc. that wasn't created legally. If your local government has decided that a two residence house was never properly subdivided, they may have updated the GIS information that Comcast gets.

So this problem could be as simple as a typo in the account number, or as complicate as a huge problem with GIS information, and questions about whether your residence legally exists. Or it could be a major screw-up by someone dealing with GIS information.

If you're not getting satisfaction from the call center (which may not have access to any information relative to some of the behind-the-scenes stuff involved), you may want to take a trip to your local cable company office. Not a remote customer service store. The office where the behind-the-scenes people actually work.

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.