damn loop

Hi,

I have a new cisco 2970 switch.

I need to turn off all non IP and non arp traffic.

I have cdp turned off with no cdp run.

I have spanning tree gone with

no spanning-tree vlan 1

I still see this loopback protocol on each port every 10 seconds.

How do I turn it off.?

I tried the documented commands but they don't work.

No spanning-tree loopguard disable

spanning-tree loopguard disable

no spanning-tree loopguard enable

I tried a few other ones but can't stop the traffic.

I am running ios 12.1

I used to always buy cisco but I am definitely seeing my support from them drop in quality. Has anyone else considered major migrations away from cisco products to either hatachi , HP, juniper , or whatever? Cisco works or used to work well when all the equipment is cisco and at the same IOS. But I can't maintain a pure cisco network at the same ios.

Sorry for the rant but simple configs should be simple to do.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
John Smith
Loading thread data ...

Router(config-if)no keepalive

Yes.

Reply to
Dan Daniels

interface (mumble) no keepalive

This is not a spanning tree packet. This is a packet used by Cisco routers from the beginning of time to test for soft network failures.

Why do you want the device to send no traffic at all?

If you have some specific examples you'd like to tell me about, drop a note to snipped-for-privacy@cisco.com.

Can you be more specific? Is the fact that different product lines (switches routers) run different versions of code the issue? How so?

I agree. Usually, it is not a good idea to turn off all diagnostic packets, but I assume you have a business reason for the switch to be dead silent. You just run some risks doing that, including looped links (no spanning tree), soft-link failures (no loopback), or invisibility to management stations (no CDP).

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

the catalyst switch series doesn't send it, at least not by default.

To measure distributed application traffic and capture it during tests. Also a few other reasons.

Try doing an etherchannel between one of the catalyst 2900's that were end of lifed last November to the new 2970 series. It will work for a while but then the old catalyst will start receiving a lot of errors and become unusable. It will only work with one cable. Yes, I pinned both sides to

100/ full

I agree in a large network this is a very bad idea. But when testing equipment ,software and taking measurements you really need a easy way to make a switch to spew anything that you'll have to keep track of.

Just a suggestion from a user.

Ending on an up side the web interface is getting better in the new switches.

Reply to
Zee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.