No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

Hello,

No Internet Dilemma!

Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights with his new home networking setup. All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable modem.

So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g Wireless 4-Port Cable Router

formatting link
So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic due to Windows Vistas unreliability we finally reolised that the router wasnt picking up an internet connection from it cable modem.

Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

Hope to hear from you all soon

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
danisgod
Loading thread data ...

What kind of POS is that?? What, did you get it for ten bucks or something? Of course it doesn't work!

1) Splurge for the bloody $50 and get yourself a Linksys WRT54x, or a decent Netgear. 2) Power down the cable modem. 3) Connect the new router to the modem via a CAT5 Ethernet cable. 4) Power up the modem. 5) Power up the router. 6) Wait a moment. 7) Examine the router lights to see if you have connectivity.

You should be fine. Report back.

Next lesson will be the setup program.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

My thoughts exactly, but we want to be 100% sure its not the Modem

Internet light on the router flashes manically, yet no internet connection is made when connected via the wireless.

Connection to the Admin Menu is fine and all setting seems to be correct.

Reply to
danisgod

When you go to find one, try searching for a better price with Google:

formatting link
Here's one (WRT54G-UK (SES)) for £26.28 (£30.88 inc. VAT) with a 5-star seller rating:
formatting link
£33.61 at Amazon (which should be a reliable retailer even in UK):
formatting link

Reply to
$Bill

p://

formatting link

ar seller rating:

formatting link

I th> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Thanks for your response, Ill keep you up to date on what happens on my 2nd attempts.

The Cable Internet provider that he is with is Virgin Media.

I have considered a number of things since last night on what the matter could be

1=2E Virgin Cable might have it so you can only connect to the internet via only your MAC address. 2=2E MAC Cloning might also be an option, yet didnt succesfully work when I tried lastnight

After that im all out of ideas

Reply to
danisgod

That being the case, I'll bet on an incompatibility between the laptop's wireless card and the routers wireless.

Q. Can you connect to the Internet through the router if you use an Ethernet cable?

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

No, There is no way of connecting to the internet via the router

Yet the Modem works fine on its own

Reply to
danisgod

Junk it.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

He never did say whether he rebooted the modem after connecting his POS router, even though you asked him to. If he didn't cycle the modem's power, the modem would still be looking for the PC that was originally connected to it.

Reply to
Bill M.

Q. Did you RTFM? The router (it appears to be an AzureWave AW-GR520) has a 4-port switch built in (those four ethernet jacks in the back). OF COURSE you can connect to the internet via the router. However, if you RTFM, you will learn that you access the router's web- based configuration via ethernet, NOT a wireless connection.

From the manual, it appears to be a very feature-complete router, with DHCP and wireless access most likely defaulted OFF. You MUST access the web configuration pages in the router to get it to work with wireless.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.