Netgear RP614v2 Problem

I recently replaced a Linksys router with the Netgear due to it's parental control options which work fine. The problem is, it continually tries to renew the IP address from Comcast. The lease date is the same as the renew date and the logs show it continually being updated. The Linksys would show a lease of 6 days, OTOH. The firmware is the latest, 5.20. Anyone else have this issue with the RP614? Thanks.

Armand

Reply to
SpicaTC50
Loading thread data ...

If you turn on the PC before you power up the router, where is the PC's DHCP server? I think it's better to power up the CM, router, and PC in that order instead of what you have above. :)

Reply to
Bill M.

there is a pecking order when you install the router. That may be your problem.

1. Turn off computer.
  2. unplug cable modem from power.
  3. install router (do not power up router yet)
  4. power up cable modem.
  5. when modem syncs, turn on PC.
  6. plug in router.

Also, try updating to the latest Firmware, if you haven't already.

Reply to
K2NNJ

Absolutely. Start at the furthest point, and work inward, step-by-step.

And while sometimes one can get away with cutting corners, if something doesn't work, break it all down, and do it again systematically before doing any troubleshooting. Failure to do so runs the risk of chasing down red herrings.

Reply to
Warren

The router will get it from the modem. It "usually" configs itself.

Reply to
K2NNJ

I think you misread what I wrote. In your step 5 above, the router is off when you power up the PC. Assuming the PC is using DHCP, it'll end up with a 169.x.x.x IP address. Then in your step 6 you power up the router. It pulls a public WAN IP address, and most likely has a

192.168.x.1 address on the LAN side. Oops, now the router and the PC are on different subnets and they no talky. That's why it's best to do things in order: CM (wait for sync), then router (wait for POST to finish), then PC(s).
Reply to
Bill M.

I did it earlier to check, and I didn't plug in the router until the cable modem synched and then I tuened on the PC then the router.

I don't know what to tell you, it works for me. My ISP is OOL in NJ.

Reply to
<anonymous

While this is true for the router, when you power up the PC before the router, the PC has no place to obtain its IP address. Unless you don't use the router's DHCP for assignment of IP addresses; but I will wager that 95% of the people using a router let it act as a DHCP server to the LAN. Even though I could hard code my LAN IP addresses, my Netgear allows me to establish a MAC-to-IP association in the DHCP configuration, so I let it use DHCP.

Reply to
NormanM

What is your LAN IP address? Do you let your router act as a DHCP server? Some people hard code the LAN IP addresses, and it matters not when they power up the computer. But most let the router act as a DHCP server, which leads to a problem. If the lease on the LAN IP address is up, the computer needs to renew it. If the router DHCP isn't available, the computer grabs an IP address from the RFC 3330 "Link Local" IP range: 169.254.0.0/16.

Try your test again, but first do these things; if you hard coded your LAN IP addresses, change to using the router DHCP. Before you run the test, run ipconfig and "release all", so your computer's IP address is 0.0.0.0; then shut down your computer. Having done that, now power up the modem (this will work for DSL modems, too), then the PC. Now check your PC's IP address with ipconfig; if it isn't in the 169.254.0.0/16, you have a magical device.

Finally, power up your router. If your PC manages to get a LAN IP address, then your router must be doing something to override the PC's lease on the "Link Local" address, or some other unusual activity is taking place.

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.