IP Management

Can anyone speak in detail of how the cable companies hand out and manage static IPs to their customers?

Thanks in advance,

CJC

Reply to
chadjcollins
Loading thread data ...

It depends on the company. Most don't even offer static IPs, and of those that do, it's usually only with business-level accounts, not residential accounts.

You'll have to be more specific if you want a more specific answer -- like which company are you interested in?

Reply to
Warren

With extreme reluctance if you're not a business customer. When I had a business cable account with static IPs, TWC made us use their router. Period. End of discussion. My router had to be after that. No bridged connections allowed. And based on what I saw on traces they ran their network internally using the 10.x.x.x address block and had the routers turn these back into the public IPs to present to the customers. Basically TWC looked like a very large private network with non-private IPs assigned to each router.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.