"Cable, Internet, Wireless Hurt The Value of Old Networks, Threaten a Business Model"

I saw this in the "Wall street Jiournal" newspaper Wednesday, August 25, 2004

©2004 Dow Jones & Company

u can dl article in sections here:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
it's about 1MB total for the 3 sections of the article

U think the phone companies are just going to do nothing and concede defeat and billions of dollars in lost revenue and do nothing? Fiber optics is coming to the common man

Read epecially the last paragraph.

Reply to
Lonnie
Loading thread data ...

}FALSE prophecies from the archives, Lonnie on Wed,

01 Sep 2004 02:36:42 -0400 spoke:

FALSE prophocies??

What would u do if u were a phone company? Just sit around and lose all yur business because that's what is happening. They'll finnaly put out the fiber for the common man and bundel it for high speed (10+Mbps) & phone service. } }>U think the phone companies are just going to do nothing and concede defeat and billions }>of dollars in lost revenue and do nothing? Fiber optics is coming to the common man } }PacBell/SBC spent tons 'o money to install fibre in some areas of San Diego. }Before it was ever used for anything BUT phones, they took it back out.

when did they take it out?

the telcos have been "blowing their horn" for years saying they would install fiber optics and get people to utilize it. They have to move, it's common business sense.

Reply to
Lonnie

}FALSE prophecies from the archives, Lonnie on Wed,

did u read the article by the way? } }>U think the phone companies are just going to do nothing and concede defeat and billions }>of dollars in lost revenue and do nothing? Fiber optics is coming to the common man } }PacBell/SBC spent tons 'o money to install fibre in some areas of San Diego. }Before it was ever used for anything BUT phones, they took it back out.

Reply to
Lonnie

FALSE prophecies from the archives, Lonnie on Wed,

PacBell/SBC spent tons 'o money to install fibre in some areas of San Diego. Before it was ever used for anything BUT phones, they took it back out.

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

They acutally pulled out the fibre??? Why? It would cost more to do that, than the fibre is worth, not to mention risk of damage to the fibre.

Reply to
James Knott

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, Lonnie on Wed, 01 Sep 2004 04:27:24 -0400 spoke:

common man and

WHAT 10Mbps+?

DSL is crap. I live in the middle of the 7th largest city in America, but I'm over 18.,000 feet from the closest DSLAM, and would be lucky to get ANY DSL service!

They started installing it about 1995, and by 1999 they were taking it out.

They put in a HUGE 'copper' coax feed line in my neighborhood at that same time, then also took THAT out, and have done nothing else to improve service.

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, James Knott on Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:38:58 GMT spoke:

Yep, they REALLY did that. Remember, this is SBC we're talking about...

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

Because they didn't want to subsidize the "last mile" for their ompetitors? -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

}I saw this in the "Wall street Jiournal" newspaper Wednesday, August 25, 2004 } }©2004 Dow Jones & Company } } } }u can dl article in sections here: } }

formatting link
} }
formatting link
} }
formatting link
} }it's about 1MB total for the 3 sections of the article } }U think the phone companies are just going to do nothing and concede defeat and billions }of dollars in lost revenue and do nothing? Fiber optics is coming to the common man } }Read epecially the last paragraph.

See my "Why are the cable companies increasing speed?" thread. THIS is why :.)

Reply to
Lonnie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.