1 Mb download speeds.

Hi.

I noticed my area finally can get DSL? It says maximum speed is only 1 Mb/sec. In the past, I could never get DSL due to 20K ft. distance to CO but now I can? Did DSL technology finally improve to get something?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant
Loading thread data ...

They've probably decided to offer you this low performance service just so they can claim an increase in service area.

Are they at least offering you this bad service at a good discount over their normal product?

Reply to
Bert

Possibly, but its more likely they put a remote into your area with fiber back to the CO.

But as Bert says, 1mb is SLOW DSL. Perhaps the fiber to the CO is already overloaded. SHOULD be cheaper than usual DSL.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

I think it was about 30 bucks per month with contract. This is with Verizon when I was checking for FIOS services (still nothing), but it did offer me DSL. Now, weird! It tells me: "We???re sorry, currently your location does not qualify for Internet service..." I just remembered something. I noticed Verizon doesn't send me their HSI services lately through its snail mail marketings. Verizon is confusing! :/

What the heck? Oh well, back to the original situation with distance since the early 2000s (when GTE was still around). :(

Is it true that Verizon is not deploying more FIOS service? :(

Reply to
Ant

Is there a way to check that?

It is still better than dial-up at 3 kB/sec (already compressed) that rarely goes faster than 28.8k on 33.6k and 56k dial-up modems. Also, lots of line noises according to my old modem's statistics and external lights. ;)

Reply to
Ant

There may be some reason your place in particular can't get DSL (for example, your line might be multiplexed with one or more others). It may be possible to get that switched to a cable pair with only you on it, after which DSL service could be provided. I went though this in helping a friend get DSL. I had to call Verizon several times, until I got someone who knew how the phone service was provisioned, and how to change it to accomodate DSL. You might want to give that a try...

That's what I've heard...

Billy Y..

Reply to
billy

Did your friend have low speeds?

:(

Reply to
Ant

1mb is Verizon's bottom-tier DSL. It's not necessarily an issue of overload or distance from the CO; they offer 6mb standard service over the same lines. I set this up for my elderly mom as an upgrade from dial-up AOL. For her it's a tremendous increment in reliability and the speed is adequate for her ... at less monthly cost than AOL dialup.
Reply to
Mike S.

Prior to my helping her, she was dial-up service. She now has 3mbps DSL, which runs at about 2.5mbps.

Billy Y..

Reply to
billy

Wow, 3 Mb/sec. Weird that when Verizon's web site said DSL was available, it was a measley 1 Mb/sec. Oh well, Time Warner Cable is available and has 10 Mb/sec for standard speed so I will just get that. Too bad no FIOS. :(

Reply to
Ant

So how come it was 1 Mb/sec or no DSL service for me? Also, no FIOS but that is not related to phone lines. :(

Reply to
Ant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.