Connection problems

I have Charter Cable, and about 2 weeks ago I started having a problem. My system is a Windows XP, and I am running Zone Alarm firewall.

When I am through for the night I normally simply disable Zone Alarm, then when I get back on in the morning I reenable it. Normally the internet connection has disconnected at that time, and I run "ipconfig /renew" to reestablish the connection. At that point I can do everything. But about 2 weeks ago I found that after reconnecting with the internet receiving emails was very slow, and ssh2 and ftp both would time out, ahtough browsing was fine. This would continue for 5 to 10 minutes, then suddenly all would work fine. I also noticed that during the day sometimes emails would connect slowly (1 to 3 minutes instead of

1 to 2 seconds), and although if I had an ssh2 connection established it would contunue to work fine, attempts to establish another ssh2 connection would fail. Eventually emails would start working fast again, and I could connect ssh2 and ftp again.

But this morning, I still cannot get the ssh2 and ftp to connect, and emails are slow, even after 2 hours of trying. I have tried ftp with other servers unsuccessfully, and have had my son connect with the server I am trying to connect with successfully with his computer, so I know it is not the server. I removed zone alarm and that did not help. I also rebooted, and that did not help either.

I called Charter, but as expected they claim it is not their problem, and all they guarantee is that I can connect to the net, not that anything will work.

Anyone have any idea what is going on, or what to try to troubleshoot this? BTW, when I attempt an ssh2 connection, I see traffic to and from the server, it just never completely connects.

Thanks,

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Dudley
Loading thread data ...

reboot your modem if that doesn't work do a reinstall of your Ethernet card drivers if that doesn't help scan for a redirecting virus or Trojan. finally you it could be a failing Ethernet card.

Reply to
BigJim

Already did that twice.

Will try that, my son will be coming over with another computer to see if it has the same problem.

Already did that, complete system and disk scan, nothing found that was not in attachments of emails in eudora..

I don't know, web pages load fine, very fast, no problems. Also I know my daughter has reported the same problems in the past, she is also on Charter, and in a few hours the problem goes away, just like it was doing for me until today. I still think it is Charter, but will keep troubleshooting.

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Dudley

oh yea it could be charter I have Comcast and the first thing they do is, lets look at your system. some of the problems with charter is an over populate node of a congested server or line noise. it could be as simple as the modem line connectors or a splitter.

Reply to
BigJim

Yep, apparently it was. After being unable to get this to work all day, I unplugged the Charter modem for 2 hours, and plugged it back in. It ended up with a new IP when I checked with ipconfig, which I had been unable to get it to change all day before, and now it works fine, no reboot of the computer or anything.

Marshall

BigJim wrote:

Reply to
Marshall Dudley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.