Comcast DNS down again tonight WOW

X-No-Archive: Yes

One thing you might want to do is keep a list of open proxy servers to use when it does happen, just configure your browser to use those proxy servers. When the DNS servers go on the fritz, that is the only way to get the Web. It wont work, however, with Usenet, IRC, or anything that cannot be stuffed down an HTTP proxy server. Stayinvisible is down, but you can find a lot of open proxies at

formatting link

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

Wow two nights in a row and three times in less that a week.

Reply to
Jbob

Thanks but fortunately I never switched back to Comcast DNS nameservers. I never noticed an issue tonight until I read it in some other forums. I think I'm gonna stick with either some ORSC Public access DNS ones or just use some other ones that are available(Speakeasy, Level3, etc). That way I don't need to even use Proxy servers. I am reading the Comcast is now populating DHCP resolution with more than their normal two DNS servers.

Reply to
Jbob

X-No-Archive: Yes

Comcast must have a number of open Socks proxies. Some guys that use IRC to do live commentary from figure skating competitions are often bouncing off open proxies on the Comcast network. A lot of these proxies, especially the Socks ones, are apparently using ports other then 23 or 1080, so they are slipping under the radar for the time being.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Set up a local caching server.

Reply to
BR

Near all legit sites with a good admin will block your "up" stuff, e.g. comment posting, feedback posting, anything involved with posting.

A famous example: Slashdot

Why? Spammers use them :) I mean take advantage of them

Also if I was a clever crook, I'd open a proxy on purpose to entire net, wait for unsuspecting ones (those doesn't use https) come by. Harvest all...

While I report spam via spamcop, I see amazing tricks being done so I wouldn'T be surprised at all.

Ilgaz Ocal

Reply to
Ilgaz Ocal

it's not outages, it's scheduled maintenance over and over and over........

Reply to
eöl

That was when Comcast was changing service from 3mbs to 4 mbs and 6mbs if you pay an extra $10.00 a month.

Reply to
terry t

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.