FWIW Comcast DNS is down again

They could do that. Assuming that they have other servers to assign. They'd also have to remember to set the lease time short enough so that when the problem goes away, everyone is switched back fast enough.

Also, for people using routers, they'd have to reset the router, and reboot their computer. Rebooting their computers would just get the same DNS servers being given out by the router. And while just resetting would change the DNS information in the router, it would still need to be served to computer, which would either need to be rebooted, or release/renew the lease.

But again, that all depends upon having backup servers available. It would be my guess that if more than one DNS server goes down at the same time, the problem is more likely to be a problem with communications to/from the data center where the DNS servers are located. So they not only would need to have back-up servers available, they'd need to be located at another data center.

Also, you need a global way of changing the information to all the accounts, and that information would need to be pushed-out to the regional data centers where the DNS servers are located. And if there's a problem with the central data center, well, making that happen would be a problem as well.

So while you're theoretically correct, the practical application of that solution is far more difficult than it sounds. And implementing a work-around usually takes resources away from fixing the actual problem as well.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

Yep just switch your DNS servers(away from Comcast ones) and you'll be cruising again.

Reply to
Jbob

I get enough email so that if I don't get any for a while or I can't surf to sites failing a name lookup, I first make sure the DNS server is down and then I just go into the router and switch from automatic to fixed DNS and hit Apply. No rebooting or anything - I'm right back up using somebody else's servers.

Being a programmer, I could also create a background task to do a name lookup periodically and open a popup when it fails - but haven't had that big a need yet.

Reply to
$Bill

Aren't they supposed to tell DHCP to switch users to different DNS servers? (i.e. reboot your DHCP client to get new DNS)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

And to top all that off if the DNS servers are down how are the users gonna get email to know to change them manually. lol This specific issue was discussed adnauseum over on DSLReports last week and going on again tonight..

Reply to
Jbob

That's the other thing. Most users are not savvy enough to have any idea how to troubleshoot a problem, let alone understand any results of their troubleshooting.

I'd like to think that most people would have enough experience to try rebooting their computer, but I'm not holding my breath. I have no delusions that they'd know to reset their router and reboot, and know enough to do it in the right order.

So if we're talking about the group of people who would know enough to reset and reboot their equipment in the right order, and we don't have to worry about those savvy enough to know how to manually set public DNS servers, we're down to a pretty small group of people.

There might be a situation when it would be worth it to switch the DNS servers that DHCP is serving, but I don't think that there would be many cases in which you'd want to divert available engineers from fixing the problem to setting-up a work-around that would benefit such a small number of users.

Now I'm starting to get real curious about just what the heck is going on. And why such a major problem has hit twice in less than a week. There's probably a good story behind this.

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.