About Purchasing a new cablemodem

I have a Toshiba cablemodem that been running for the past 3.5 yrs and was thinking about getting a new one. I just wanted to know is it best getting a new one and will it do any improvements compare to my old one. I also wanted to know is there anything different between my old one is DOCSIS 1.0 to 2.0? Also I'm on comcast if anyone wanted to know incase.

TB

Reply to
No-man
Loading thread data ...

Typically, a cable modem either works, or it doesn't. Especially with Comcast, there is nothing you can do on your end, by replacing a cable modem, to increase performance. That is all controlled on the head end. Comcast is fully compatible with DOCSIS 1.0, so buying a newer cable modem, supporting DOCSIS 2.0, will do nothing for you.

If you do decide to buy a new cable modem anyway, contact Comcast in your area, to confirm they support the manufacture, and model, you're intending to purchase. After the purchase, you will need to contact Comcast again, to have it provisioned. This is a process where they modify your account, to accept the new MAC address, from your new cable modem.

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Your local Comcast would tell you if they *require* you to be at a certain version of DOCSIS. Beyond that, no, there's no advantage.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

If it says DOCSIS 1.0 or DOCSIS 2.0 on it, he's golden.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.